Request for wiring help for older Pentair Whisperflo pump WFDS-8

Jul 6, 2015
Hesperia, CA
Hello,

I would really appreciate some help with wiring my Pentair pump. It's a Whisperflo 2 speed 230 v 2 hp square flange pump. I got the motor fixed. The technician didn't remember what wires I had but thought there were 3 wires, 1 white, 1 black, and 1 red - one for each terminal. However, there are actually 4 wires: 1 red, 1 green, 2 blue. The manuals that I found online show 2 terminals, L1 and L2 and, above them, a ground screw. I think this is an older pump, and the online manuals must refer to a newer model.

I see three terminals, but I don't see a ground screw. I have uploaded a photo of the wires and terminals and another of the wiring diagram. It doesn't show the ground wire. I think I should put the red wire on the top terminal and the 2 blue wires on the middle and bottom 2 terminals, but I don't know where to put the green wire.

I would really appreciate some help soon. My pool is filling up with algae.

Thank you.

Attachments

• pentair wfds-8 pump md.jpg
    pentair wfds-8 pump md.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 33
  • pentair wfds-8 pump wiring diagram sm.jpg
    pentair wfds-8 pump wiring diagram sm.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 33
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!1

You need to be 100% sure that the common line is the red wire. I think you can damage the motor if your put power to both the low and high speed terminals at the same time.

I think you are missing the green ground screw from the hole just to the upper right of the terminals.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!1

You need to be 100% sure that the common line is the red wire. I think you can damage the motor if your put power to both the low and high speed terminals at the same time.

I think you are missing the green ground screw from the hole just to the upper right of the terminals.

Ditto on all counts. Looks like a green ground screw is missing above the terminals. If the red is the common, then it goes on the top terminal. The blue wires go on the other two. If the high and low don't work how they should in relation to the switch position, swap the two blue wires. Best bet would be to check voltage on the wires with a meter before hooking anything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, All. Looking carefully at photos of pump wires on the web, it did look like the green ground screw was missing, as Jason pointed out. I had a few in my collections, so I put one on. I then opened the timer controller cover to look at the wires. I saw that the red was for the timer and the blues were hooked up to the load screws for the pump - high and low speeds. I tugged the blues and found which went to high and which went to low. I put it all back together, and it's working now.

I also scooped out leaves and debris and brushed the sides and shallow-end floor of the pool. I added yet more chlorine (plus some acid since the pH was high). Hopefully, with a couple days of filtration, the pool will clear up and turn blue. If not, I'll have to buy some shock.

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.