Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool dummy 1

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Pool dummy 1

Hi all! I'm Macey. After my swim plans fell through with friends I made the rash decision to go and buy a pool. Never had a pool in my life and know absolutely nothing about it. Well, here I am a week later, a pool owner, and feeling as ignorant as ever. HAHA Everytime I google an issue this site comes up so here I am! Happy to be here and excited for someone to help guide this "dummy" to a clean and clear pool. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool dummy 1

Welcome to TFP!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Longview, Texas

Hi pool dummy!

the smartest thing you can possibly do, is get yourself a 1st class test kit. Almost everyone on this uses, and swears by the TF100.
    you can only get them online.

This kit will allow you to test everything in the water that you need to.

In the meantime, take a few minutes and read the ABC's of water chemistry. This is just a description of what things like FC, pH, CH, TA and CYA etc are, and how they play together in the pool.
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Then, bookmark the recommended levels. These levels are where you want each water parameter to be.
    Pool School - Recommended Levels

And, learn how to use pool math. Its pretty simple really. Just play around with it a bit.

Of course, if you have any questions about any of this stuff, or anything else, just ask, and lots of folks here will be willing to help out!

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

Here are a couple more resources:

1. Chlorine CYA Chart
    2 Recommended Pool Chemicals
    3. Recommended Levels
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

welcome, +1 on the TF100
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info to your signature so we can better assist you. More on that here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach