Help w Intex 22' Pool - Poles Vertical? Success w jacking up to fix?

Jul 6, 2015
Dover, NH
Hi everyone, newbie here. Would really appreciate some advice.

Bought a 22' Intex pool last year, didn't realize how much prep work was needed to set it up properly and suffice it to say after setting it up unsuccessfully we drained it and stored it until next year in our shed.

2015: I'm pregnant, due end of August and want a pool!! Paid a landscaper $1400 to dig down, compact, lay landscaping fabric, compact gravel dust over it in a 24' square. STRESSED this was for a pool and area had to be level, he said would be level to within 1/8". Set up pool on this surface, put 12 x 12 pavers under legs, filled pool while straightening legs as best we could. Water line is, um, sort of undulating. 2 squares off on one end from the other.

Several questions and yes I know about the dangers of any of this pool not being level. No need to alarm me on that. Even though I am a newbie I have been trolling this site for over a year now :)

1. How are these supports supposed to look on the final product? The liner kind of bulges out all the way around the lower third of the pool slightly. If the supports are perfectly perpendicular to the ground, they push into the bulge. Are they supposed to be leaning outward slightly?
  2. Despite our best attempts to properly position the supports and pavers, some ended up more vertical and others were leaning out ever so slightly. A couple of pavers ended up more under the pool than we intended and are pushing into the liner. Obviously these need to be fixed but to pull them away from the liner means the supports will not be in the center of the paver if they are to remain vertical.
  3. I have already patched two holes and there is a third near the ladder near the bottom. Was going to look at using an underwater patch so I don't have to COMPLETELY drain the pool. I can't quite reach it from the outside, it is too close to the ground. Anyone have luck with underwater patches?
  4. BAH what hassle and waste of money so far! Do I need to drain the entire pool AGAIN? Is there a way I can jack the supports as I go around to reposition the pavers and the poles? I really don't think the entire pad is sloping - correcting the water level seems to only mean adjusting the height of about 4 or 5 poles so if I can jack them up to fix then I can try to dig a little under the pavers to adjust.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I help with the underwater patch-----------I have used them with good success. I had to have my husband hold my legs to help me stay down to smooth it out.

Make the patch bigger than the hole. Make it round. No straight edges or corners.

I wonder if you took a pic of the legs someone could get a better idea of what you are facing.

Kim

First thing's first - congratulations on your expected addition to the family! As for your pool, you seem to have a few issue going-on, and most seem to revolve around the set-up. As Kim noted, you can do some patching. Pool stores and on-line patch kits are available. But as for the other problems you noted (paver bases touching liner, poles/supports), I would be inclined to ride it out this season. I definitely would not try to jack or dig-out anything while the pool is full. There's a tremendous amount of pressure there, and anything you try to do with that much weight would be unpredictable. I would think for now ... patch what you need to so you can enjoy the rest of your swimming season. After that, drain it, make all the corrections necessary, then refill or wait until next spring to refill. By then you may have another addition in the family who will be excited to see the new water playground. :)

1) The legs on my intex are slightly kicked out at the bottom due to the liner so I believe that is perfectly normal. However, I made sure that the legs are plumb from left to right all the way around.

2) Last year I miscalculated a little where the pavers should have gone and ended up with the same problem as you. On a few of them they were 6 inches in too far and you could feel them when you walked around inside the pool. If you sunk them into the ground to be level with your base then I wouldn't worry about it. If they are standing well above the base then you may have the potential for holes. Luckily I never had a problem with leaks or with the leg not being perfectly centered on the paver. Just keep an eye on them for signs of breaking.

3) Never had to patch so heed the advice given above

4) I would be very reluctant on jacking up the posts. I know many on here have done it but I don't put too much faith in the little "T" connection to hold up all of that weight. If the water level is off all in one area you may consider draining. However, if it is a pole here and a pole there you may be alright. A pic would definitely help.

If you are 2 squares off, then the base was not leveled as it should have been or not compacted well and there is sinking going on.

I would agree about the hazards of jacking up the posts. I have the 22x52 round. I would have suggested filling 1/8 - 1/4 of the way and then moving them into place. I know mine have moved on their own
while filling the water up. Now I have had success in jacking up the posts while completely full. But it's a tender process. Also when jacking, you are only looking to release a little pressure in order to move it
and not really jack it up. My first attempt I put a little kink in the top rail. Not enough to have to replace it, but enough to realize they can bend pretty easy. The next time I did it, I used a 2x4 about 3 feet
long and put that horizontal under the top rail so not to put direct pressure on one spot. You should only need like 1 pump of the jack to take some pressure off.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I was finally able to upload some pics. My dad and I have decided we are going to carefully measure how off each post is while the pool is full, then drain it halfway, try to dig under the pavers down to the right level, and then reposition the posts and pavers so at least the frame is level. I'm also crafting an email to the landscaper because I want some money back!! I'm assuming we are doing the right thing but doing all this considering how off level it is? Thanks!!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Pool Pic 7.JPG
    Pool Pic 7.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 400
  • Pool Pic 6.JPG
    Pool Pic 6.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 398
  • Pool Pic 8.JPG
    Pool Pic 8.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 391
  • Pool Pic 3.JPG
    Pool Pic 3.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 387
  • Pool Pic 4.JPG
    Pool Pic 4.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 389
I see your model is the one that does not have the rope support around the bottom. Seeing the legs push out like that a bit seems to be the norm sometimes without the rope on the bottom. I would suggest when you straighten out all the posts that you wrap a 3/4" rope or a 2" wide ratchet strap around the bottom portion of the legs to prevent this again. Even then, mine was fine until the kids got a little rough in the pool and I had a couple of legs move a bit. Not enough though that I would be concerned about (and I have the rope)
The pool looks pretty level from the pictures, so not sure you will get anything from the landscaper as it really is due to the pool settling and it's design.

Thanks DarrelB! The photos might be deceiving, the water level is off as much as 3.5 squares from the ladder end to the other side. It goes up to the gray liner on one side and just barely covers the filter on the other side, and no matter what position the posts are in they incrementally get higher as you go around. GREAT idea for the ratchet strap, I will do that, thanks!!

I have the identical pool. 22x54 Ultra Frame. Mine doesn't have the rope either and just that junk band that probably doesn't do squat but attempt to keep the poles somewhat aligned.
Since I am setting mine up again this week, I might do as 'DarrelB' suggested and get a 30 foot ratchet strap or a rope just for the sake of it. It's been 2 seasons without it, but better safe
then sorry I suppose. Plus I've had some issues with the legs moving around.
Moving the posts left and right is no problem full, but going in is a different story with all that pressure. I seen you say your going to drain it down halfway, so then it shouldn't be a problem.
I am not able to maximize or zoom in the pictures but it really doesn't look that off level to me. But I am used to being lopsided anyways so.

Just an update, we decided we are going to remove all the pavers because they add an additional 1.5" height that really is not intended to be there that we think is putting added stress on the liner. We still have to level it somewhat so we are digging some spots down where the posts will go. This guy says he compacted the ground to be able to drive a dumptruck over it so it will hold the arms without sinking. Will take half the water out, use a house jack just to support one spot as we shimmy out the paver and reposition the leg. Lets see how that goes...mmph.

By the way, we measured the circumference which is approx. 69' so we need a seriously long ratchet strap. Still going to put it on at the end to keep the poles stable - thanks for the idea!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need those pavers or the post will sink and you'll end up with a seriously unlevel pool. If it rains or you get splash out, it will make the ground soft. I would not count on the fact that the landscaper used gravel dust and compacted it... he didn't even level it properly. If you're going to do it over, you'll need to drain the pool and remove it from the site.

For the most part, it looks ok to use for right now. If I were you, I'd use it for the rest of the summer and once you have your baby and feeling better, take it down and then fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.