jeannette

Jul 6, 2015
Richmond, VA
Hi - my name is jeannette -
I have a 24' round above ground pool. It uses a Hayward sand filter and a saltwater generator. I have had so many problems with pool chemistry. .
Made the mistake of going to a shop whose purpose was to sell chemicals and my pool became a burden.

I love it, but having issues with algae, cloudy pool. The biggest problem is that it still has some trash in it, but I can't see the bottom for the algae, etc.
I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

Thank you. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The completed the first step to a clear pool ... you found TFP :goodjob:
The second step is investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits so you do not have to rely on horrible pool store testing.

With algae in the water, you will need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test in the recommended kits.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Hi Jeanette,

Welcome to the forum!

We can help, and show you how to learn to do this all on your own, and it really isn't hard. You'll need a proper test kit, and some knowledge. Begin with the ABC's in Pool School to begin the knowledge. Personally, the TF100 is the kit I always suggest, because it is the best value. Good luck, and let us know when you have questions.

Welcome to TFP :wave:Jeannette.

There we be a lot of info and instructions to start with, so...... take a deep breath and prepare for a clean and sparkling pool.

First, you need a GOOD test kit. Most of us swear by the TF100, someone will post a link to tftestkits, where you can get one.

Second, If you wouldn't mind reading the POOL SCHOOL section, that will give you an understanding of what we will be having you do to your pool and why.

Third, posting your particulars on your pool in your signature will help us know what you have and how to respond as to what to do next.

Fourth, don't be overwhelmed by everything, it will get easier as you go, PLUS right behind me are some fantastic folks who will guide you and hold your hand, if need be, all through the process. I will be sitting here watching your progress and cheering you on.

That said, go learn what you can, AND mostly ask all the questions you want. THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS. Again , Welcome !

- - - Updated - - -

See what I mean, They are so fast they beat me to the punch :bowdown:

These are the results of the test that was done today -

(My salt generator has been going about a week.)
Free Available Chlorine 0.14 LOW
Total Chlorine 0.17 LOW
Combined chlorine OK

pH level 7.9 High
Total Alkalinity (adjusted) 54 LOW
Calcium Hardness 175 LOW Above ground pool - vinyl liner
Cyanuric acid 51 HIGH
Salt level 3720 OK

Hope that gives you some idea. I do have an algae problem too - since my salt generator has been only in use a week.
Also, there is still debris in the pool, but I can't see the debris because of the algae.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

We would like to see them and know how you got the results.

See where you wrote your name in green? That is where would need your pool info. so we always know your pool details without having to look through the whole thread.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The question was not were you got the water from but who did the tests? You with your own test kit? Which one? The pool store?

Without that info. we cannot move forward.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh I just saw where you added the info in your siggy that the test results are from a pool store.

You will find that we do not trust test strips or pool stores. We have found that they are wrong more than they are right and as such cause MANY problems.

Here a TFP we are all about teaching others to take care of their own pool. The only way to do that is to have your own test kit.

Until you get a good test kit like in my siggy we are stuck on how to best help you :(

Yeah the pool store will test your water for free but.............is it really free if you have to buy x,y, z at $$ cost and it still does not work?

Kim

This past weekend I went to the pool store to pick up some parts. They had a $5 coupon if you let them test your water. Their results were wrong on chlorine, calcium hardness, cya/stabilizer, alkalinity and pH - basically every test result. If I had followed their advice I would have spent over $100 and probably turned the pool cloudy from all the calcium they suggested to add.

Many people have trouble believing that pool store test results are so bad but it has been proven over and over that they are. Only with accurate test results can people here help you solve the problem so that's why recommendation #1 is a good test kit. It costs less than what the pool store recommended I spend this past weekend.

My water is incredibly clear and beautiful using the methods from this site, even with lots of people swimming this past weekend and lots of rain.

I hope you choose to go for the kit and the TFP methods - the clean, beautiful water is well worth it.

These are the results of the test that was done today -

(My salt generator has been going about a week.)
Free Available Chlorine 0.14 LOW
Total Chlorine 0.17 LOW
Combined chlorine OK

pH level 7.9 High
Total Alkalinity (adjusted) 54 LOW
Calcium Hardness 175 LOW Above ground pool - vinyl liner
Cyanuric acid 51 HIGH
Salt level 3720 OK

Hope that gives you some idea. I do have an algae problem too - since my salt generator has been only in use a week.
Also, there is still debris in the pool, but I can't see the debris because of the algae.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi Jeannette, I wonder if you think we are trying to SELL you something.

If you read around the forum you will see the only thing we are trying to SELL you, is the idea that you can control your own pool and easier and less expensive than with a pool store or service.

An example of why we say test yourself and don't trust pool store testing is your very own test

* FC(free chlorine that is available to fight bacteria) is low. What should it be ? depends on your CYA level
* Total chlorine low (total chlorine is FC & CC) which doesn't tell what's really going on.
* CC(combined chlorine is chlorine that has already destroyed bad things) ok
* PH 7.9 yes it's high
* TA 54 is low (not sure what "adjusted" means)
* CH(calcium hardness)175. Doesn't matter what level it is on a vinyl liner (50-300)
* CYA(Cyanuric acid) 51 high. Wrong, we've found that with a salt generator it should be 70-80

The sad part is if you take another sample in, they will give you different readings even if nothing has been added.

If you have algae you need to hit it with chlorine, more than a salt generator can generate a one time.

How much and how often ? We cannot say without proper tests on what's in your pool.

No one here will GUESS what to put on your pool, that's the pool stores' arena.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask, we are always here.

Hi Jeanette! It can be overwhelming at first. Maybe my "background" will help. I had my first algae outbreak last summer; summer 2014. I'll try to make it brief. I went to a pool store and followed their advice and spent $100. Algae stayed. I had been a TFP lurker so I knew enough to be a hindrance to myself and I had ordered a test kit. I went to a different pool store who gave me almost opposite advice. Their advice and over $100 in their concoctions made the algae go away. So I had my test kit, didn't use it because the pool was clear and all was well in the world. Fast forward spring 2015 - MAJOR algae bloom! at this point, I decided no more pool stores as the expensive concoction called was only a temporary fix and not solving my pool headache.

I got back on TFP. Thankfully I already had a good test kit. I followed the advice to a tee and made myself a student of pool care. I am so glad I did!!

I have control of my pool. I know EXACTLY what my pool needs and how to combat problems. I have peace of mind, a clear pool, and more $$ in my pocket.

One thing you will need lots of its BLEACH - regular household bleach. No pool store concoctions.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The water test was done with water I took from my pool. I'm sorry, but the only thing that has been recommended is
buying a test kit.

That doesn't help.

Well, I can understand why you say that. However, it truly is the most helpful thing for you. We can't really make solid suggestions without reliable results and it's why we suggest a kit. Knowledge is key, and testing results are part of that knowledge. Unfortunately, we find time and again that store numbers aren't reliable all the time, so we are hesitant to make suggestions based on those results.