Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total dissolved solids and Bleach??

1. Back To Top    #1

Gaithersburg, MD.

Question Total dissolved solids and Bleach??

I'm fighting black algae with decent success following a period when my pump went down and I had an air leak I couldn't find. System working good now and I'm maintaining FC at shock levels with 8.25% bleach from Walmart and Costco. (Very close in price). I'm following instructions I've found on TFP for dealing with black algae. Anyway, went to pool store today, where I've had good luck buying parts and which is recommended for its knowledgeable staff, to buy a stainless steel brush. To my surprise the guy didn't try to sell me Cu algaecide, but agreed that brushing and chlorine were key. But, when I told him what I was doing, he did warn me that using sodium hypochlorite would lead to clarity problems (total dissolved solids?). He noted that " big commercial pools use sodium hypochlorite (which we sell) , but they get drained every season around here. We try to keep people's water lasting 7 years". I drained my 15 year old pool for the first time last year, and have never had clarity problems once my filter got going, though this is the first year I've ever used bleach.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Jfg. 33,000 gal IG. Plaster. Built 1998. DE filter . 3HP Pentair VS3050 whisper flow variable speed pump. Two skimmers plus bottom drain. Located in MD suburbs of DC

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Total dissolved solids and Bleach??

Welcome to TFP!!!

TDS is a meaningless parameter that pool stores seem to harp on. We prefer to look at the things that make up the TDS that are useful. For example, TDS includes: CYA (stabilizer), CH (calcium), salt, etc

You know what that dangerous TDS the bleach is adding actually is? It is salt!!!!!
    On a strictly bleach diet, it is possible that your salt level could reach 1000ppm ... Guess what level I maintain in my pool for the SWG. Up to 4000ppm ... so I guess my pool's TDS is 4 times worse

Oh another tidbit: All forms of chlorine actually add salt to the pool ... bleach just happens to add a little more. BUT, bleach does not have the side-effect of adding calcium or stabilizer which when it builds up, requires replacing water to lower it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

Lol, knowledgeable staff? Anyone that works in the pool industry and is still using TDS as a primary indicator of a problem does not deserve that title.

Pool stores are good places for parts and toys, but try not to talk chemicals with them. It will only lead to confusion and/or annoyance.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Glad I found this discussion (from a year ago). I went to a new pool store (locally owned and operated so I would like to support) and told them I was using liquid chlorine. He went on about TDS and said that I would have to drain a portion of my pool every year due to TDS build up. I had never heard that before (pool owner for 2 years) and probably had a confused look on my face.

I am really glad I found this site when I got my pool. This is straight forward advice from other pool owners who are not trying to sell any chemicals.

Thanks for all the great information.
    POOL: 20,000 (est) IG Plaster, attached spa with fountain and spillway, built 1998
    FILTER: Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE
    PUMP: AO Smith USQ1152 1 1/2 HP single speed
    SWEEP: Polaris with a booster pump
    TEST KIT: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Buckeye AZ

my CH is 900, my salt level is 5200, and my CYA is at 50. I bet my TDS is through the roof.
    But the pool is clear.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir