Greyish Powder at Bottom of Pool

If you've never added CYA and you don't use pucks, you can assume a CYA of 0.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some stabilizer today. Will start adding it to the pool tonight. So I should put it in a sock and leave it in my skimmer? Or hang it over the return jet? The instructions say to just broadcast it along the edge of the pool...

Is it only cartridge filters that you can use to dissolve powder CYA by adding directly to skimmer?

I thought the sock trick was a workaround if you had to do a lot of backflushing/filter cleaning while it dissolves? Or is it also a way to not bleach your liner (if you have a liner and not plaster)?

Either way, if someone was to allow the solid granules to go straight to their filter, they might rinse them out (or backwash) before they fully dissolved, thereby wasting their stabilizer and not receiving the target CYA level they intended. Also best to not let the granules rest directly on the pool surface.

Either way, if someone was to allow the solid granules to go straight to their filter, they might rinse them out (or backwash) before they fully dissolved, thereby wasting their stabilizer and not receiving the target CYA level they intended. Also best to not let the granules rest directly on the pool surface.

I guess I was asking more for my specific scenario, and I apologize if this is considered a thread hijack but I think all the newbies can learn from this.

I won't be washing my cartridge filters for the foreseeable future now that the water is clear and I recently deep cleaned them. So in my case, I'm wondering if it's ok to just let it dissolve in the filter cartridges over the next 7 days, and if so would I need to keep the pump on 24/7?

If I add it through the skimmer, it won't hit the surface of my pool which is plaster, not vinyl.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.