Difference in Raypack heaters????

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
What is the difference in "Digital" natural gas and "Millivolt" natural gas?

I'm set on a Raypak 399K btu, but dont know the difference between the 2...

There is also a "Cupro-Nickle" model and a Low-Nox version.

Swim season will be from Mid May till late September probably with this heater. Close it down around mid October and Open it up in late April/early May. Heater will be under a enclosed deck near the pool. Heater will be placed in a part of the deck with about 5' head room and plenty of room to work around and maneuver.

Anyone shed some light on these? They are all within $300 of each other.

Not sure about the first question.

Low-NOX is generally a California requirement. Cupro-nickle is not typically needed either ... a little more resistant to chemistry abuse than copper.

The millivolt has a pilot light to power to the system, while the digital model requires outside power brought to the heater. The digital version requires 4 amps @ 120 volts and 2 amps @ 240 volt. Unless you will run the unit all the time I would recommend the digital version. You generally will have ample power at the equipment pad. Also the millivolt pilot will be lit 24 hrs/day everyday burning gas waiting to be turned on.

Cupro Nickel is a different lining/material on the heat exchanger that will extend the life in lieu (in poor chemistry) of the standard copper exchanger. You'll read mixed reviews around here on the need to upgrade to cupronickel and whether it is worth the cost.

Lo-Nox - unless required in your area (CA mainly) most people stick with the standard unit.

http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchDocument.aspx?id=9858dad5-021a-4216-b0d5-1e29edd2f913

Raypak's website should list the required space clearances around it including the vertical component. I don't know if that would warrant an optional vent hood or not.

Check your building codes in your area because many do NOT allow millivolt pilot equipment any more. However, it would be in your best interest to NOT get a millivolt system and get the digital one. All you need to do is run an electrical connection over to the unit. You can connect the unit to the same side on the timer as the pump. This way it only has power when the pump runs.

According to the manufacturers, they usually want nothing above it at all. This way it can exhaust properly. Plus if you have it under a deck, I hope no one is walking over it or sitting anywhere near it when running.

Ok, So it needs to be outside the deck. My pool is completely surrounded by deck, so I'll have to find a place for it somewhere to the side.

Thanks for all the help guys.

EDIT:
So after reading some more....
This model requires a 220v circuit ran correct?

Where as this model just requires a regular 120v connection? I know one is 399k btu and the other is 156k btu, but I just need about a 3 or 4 degree increase most of the time. And the price difference is about $900 between the two. But I do not have a 220v connection at my pool. Only a 120v connection for the pump.

Th first one you mentioned can be either 120 or 220. On the transformer there are four wires. A ground, common, one marked for 120 and one marked for 240. So depending on what you need, you use the corresponding wires to hook it up.

So is it worth the extra $900 for the 399k btu model over the 156k btu model?

I'm looking at $1100 for the 156k and about $2000 for the 399k. They also have a 266k for $1500.

It will just heat the water up faster correct? No other real advantage right? Its not a better built heater or anything right?

Depends if your gas supply can handle the larger heater and how fast you want to heat the pool. Generally the larger the better. It will heat over twice as fast add the smaller one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on the heater decision. I also brought from them and was happy with their service. FWIW, they provided a tracking number and it was listed by them as a UPS #. It turned out to be a fedex freight number instead. It didn't matter in the end, I just wasn't able to track it for the first few days. Mine shipped out of upstate NY if I remember right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.