Lost as last year's easter egg !!

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FIRST POST---Six year old sand filter (Hayward s244t). This season I've been getting lots of very small tree particles in the pool. I have very large oak trees on 2 sides of my pool. The particles build to the point that my vacuum filter clogs and does not move (Polaris pressure side 165). I cleaned the sand filter yesterday by gently moving water hose thru sand (low pressure on hose) then let the filter fill and drain from the top for 10 minutes> I'm still getting the particles in the vacuum and pool. I did not drain the filter from the the bottom drain before starting cleaning. Do I need to drain first before cleaning or just clean for a second time since the filter has never been cleaned ?? THANKS !!
----------------------------------------------------
most recent post---

I've taken sand filter apart again and washed the sand for approx. 1.5 hours. Then let the water run over the top until clean. Backwashed and rinsed, started it up and BOOM, I still got small particles (looking like tiny bits of oak bark,leaves) coming into vacuum and pool. I'm as lost as last years' easter egg as to what to do nex t---- Any suggestions ?? THANKS AGAIN

Post up a picture of the setup.

You may just need to run the filter a bit to clear out what is on the bottom of the sand bed before starting the cleaner back up.

Another option is debris bypassing the filter through the backwash valve.

The spider gasket in the multi-valve on the top of the filter may not be sealing and could be allow dirt to not enter the filter and just head back toward the pool. Although give the new filter, this seems unlikely ... but there was another post about someone with a new filter like yours having a similar problem.

You should not need to remove the valve that connect to the pipes (although you should have unions). To look at the gasket, you remove all the screws and split the valve open.

The Polaris 165 is only good for floating schmutz from the bottom of the pool into the bag. Your skimmer basket should be collecting the small floating stuff and if you use skimmer socks in the basket it should help even more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.