Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lost as last year's easter egg !!

1. Back To Top    #1

Lost as last year's easter egg !!

FIRST POST---Six year old sand filter (Hayward s244t). This season I've been getting lots of very small tree particles in the pool. I have very large oak trees on 2 sides of my pool. The particles build to the point that my vacuum filter clogs and does not move (Polaris pressure side 165). I cleaned the sand filter yesterday by gently moving water hose thru sand (low pressure on hose) then let the filter fill and drain from the top for 10 minutes> I'm still getting the particles in the vacuum and pool. I did not drain the filter from the the bottom drain before starting cleaning. Do I need to drain first before cleaning or just clean for a second time since the filter has never been cleaned ?? THANKS !!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    most recent post---

I've taken sand filter apart again and washed the sand for approx. 1.5 hours. Then let the water run over the top until clean. Backwashed and rinsed, started it up and BOOM, I still got small particles (looking like tiny bits of oak bark,leaves) coming into vacuum and pool. I'm as lost as last years' easter egg as to what to do nex t---- Any suggestions ?? THANKS AGAIN
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lost as last year's easter egg !!

Is your cleaner plumbed after the sand filter? Add a picture if you are not sure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep--- plumbed after the sand filter. It's a Polaris 165 pressure side ----
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

4. Back To Top    #4

Post up a picture of the setup.

You may just need to run the filter a bit to clear out what is on the bottom of the sand bed before starting the cleaner back up.

Another option is debris bypassing the filter through the backwash valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Another option is debris bypassing the filter through the backwash valve.-- I don't under stand this but the whole unit was replaced about a month ago---
    I did run it after backwash/rinse without the cleaner but did it just about 20 minutes---Maybe it just needws a longer run??

6. Back To Top    #6

The spider gasket in the multi-valve on the top of the filter may not be sealing and could be allow dirt to not enter the filter and just head back toward the pool. Although give the new filter, this seems unlikely ... but there was another post about someone with a new filter like yours having a similar problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Gotcha---thanks----what if anything do I look for when I got the multiport off again ?? (added couplings to my pipes as should have been done when installed but wasn't)

8. Back To Top    #8

You should not need to remove the valve that connect to the pipes (although you should have unions). To look at the gasket, you remove all the screws and split the valve open.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Did not see a post about if the sand has been replaced and the laterals inspected.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

10. Back To Top    #10

The Polaris 165 is only good for floating schmutz from the bottom of the pool into the bag. Your skimmer basket should be collecting the small floating stuff and if you use skimmer socks in the basket it should help even more.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain