Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum not running

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum not running

We finally got a vacuum and hose to start cleaning the bottom of the pools. The problems is when I turn on the pump nothing happens. I've filled the hose with as much water as possible . The pump suck the water from the hose for few seconds then stops. Do I need to move the pump higher or what am I missing?

ETA manual vacuum on a pole, nothing fancy
    24ftx50in 13,500 gal Summer Escapes AG, stock one speed pump w/ cartridge filters

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum not running

The best way is to "burp" the hose. This is simple and all you do is place the end of the hose on a return jet until the air is all removed.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds a lot faster, easier, and more effective than my approac . Lol thank you so much
    24ftx50in 13,500 gal Summer Escapes AG, stock one speed pump w/ cartridge filters

4. Back To Top    #4

You are quite welcome.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

So I got the hose filled with the return jet and that worked fabulously. I covered it with my hand and it made a gravity/manual vacuum. It works but slowly. The pump won't come on when I use it for the big pool, like there's air in it but the water is flowing through it from gravity. Any ideas?