Installing new Chlorine generating cell

Jun 16, 2015
Alpharetta
I am installing a new Chlorine generating cell (Pentair IntelliChlor IC40) using the IntelliChlor Power Center to supply the proper current. However, the installation instructions mention connecting the chlorine cell to a pool timer or controller which are in turn connected to the pool pump. (please see attached diagram) My pool pump is a Pentair Intelliflow variable speed pump.

I understand that this is done in order to turn the pool pump and chlorine generator on at the same time. However, it seems like I should be able to wire these two together since my pump has a controller built in. (note: these are data lines, not electrical lines)

My question is: Is it necessary to install a timer? Or, can I simply connect the pool pump and and chlorine generator directly?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pooldiagram.jpg
    pooldiagram.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 74
Is your Intellitouch on a timer currently? Mine is and the controller is after the timer, so they both (pump and SWG) run from that timer.

From what I understood when I called Pentair (before I went with Hayward) is that you can wire the power directly to your sub panel/power supply, and just use the units flow valve as the on/off, so to speak. When your pump shuts off, the unit will stop producing as there is no flow. Again, that is what I was told when I called Pentair.

The wiring diagram you show is for when you have an Automation system. If I understand correctly you have an Intelliflo and are now connecting an IC40 SWCG. The IC40 does not 'talk' to the pump so there are no data lines to connect. The data lines you see in your example are so the automation system can talk to the IC40. The automation system can control the % of cell output and read back the salt level, status, etc.

As other have said, you do not "need" a timer, because you can just rely on the flow switch in the cell to keep the IC40 off when the pump is not running. To do this simply connect the AC power (either 115 or 220 depending on how you wire it up) to the power supply and connect the cable from the IC40 to the connector on the bottom of the power supply and you should be good to go.

A timer in the AC input to the power supply would ensure that you only have power to the IC40 on when the pump was on, but that would mean keeping the external timer and the internal pump timer synchronized, and I suspect that would be a problem looking for a place to happen and more trouble than it was worth.

Thanks,

Jim R.

As other have said, you do not "need" a timer, because you can just rely on the flow switch in the cell to keep the IC40 off when the pump is not running. To do this simply connect the AC power (either 115 or 220 depending on how you wire it up) to the power supply and connect the cable from the IC40 to the connector on the bottom of the power supply and you should be good to go.

This sounds very reasonable since I do not have a timer. Thank you very much for the assistance.

That's one of the downsides of a variable speed pump with a swg. Any rational engineer would put a relay output on the pump so you could use the onboard timer to run a relay that powers other things. Maybe they make one like that, but I haven't seen that feature. You can hook the swg up as has been suggested, but you are relying on the flow switch only. If it fails, the swg can sit there and fill the line with chlorine and hydrogen gas while the pump is off. It may also damage the plates in the cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VS pump is wired to the breaker and my SWG is on a timer. Works like a charm, I can dial in my SWG for FC and run my pump whenever I want and just make sure the SWG is running in my pump run window. I always run my pump more than my SWG due to lots of trees.

Pooldv

While I agree that having a timer is the better of the two options, I believe that if you have a power failure the external timer could get out of sync with the internal pump timer. I believe that there is a better chance of that happening than of having the flow switch stick in the "on" position. That said, all three of my systems are wired so that the SWG only gets power when the pump is on. If left up to me, I'd forget to check or reset the timer. :(

N240sxguy

Rational Engineer? Have you seen their manuals? :confused: I agree completely about the need for an external relay/power output from the pump.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.