Please help my pool is leaking 1" a day

Jun 9, 2015
NY
Hi I have an inground vinyl pool thats leaking very quickly. I've recently vacuumed the pool around a patch and opened a pool light to TRY to change a bulb. I also noticed small crack in the skimmer. Fast forward a few days and the level is now 6-8" below the original level.

The most suspect area is a failed patch. This leak was caused from my father dropping a chlorine tab in the pool and leaving it there. The result was a tear, discoloration, and crevice the size of my fist. The professional simply cut a patch of our spare liner, glued it in and pressed down with a pole. It held for 3 years.

I fixed the skimmer cracks with epoxy but could use some help on detection and repair. Can someone suggest a course of action?

My current intention is to buy a leak detection dye, check the niche, repair niche, get a better brass screw for niche? (I think someone put the wrong screw in), somehow dive in to 9' deep and check previous professional patch, fill in sand somehow to level floor, repair the patch with a larger patch.

Should I look into getting this professionally repaired? I know I can only last for 15 sec in the deep end. Also how much can i let my vinyl pool drain and still be safe? I've heard the first step and the last step on the shallow end from people.

Thanks

Hi I have an inground vinyl pool thats leaking very quickly. I've recently vacuumed the pool around a patch and opened a pool light to TRY to change a bulb. I also noticed small crack in the skimmer. Fast forward a few days and the level is now 6-8" below the original level.

The most suspect area is a failed patch. This leak was caused from my father dropping a chlorine tab in the pool and leaving it there. The result was a tear, discoloration, and crevice the size of my fist. The professional simply cut a patch of our spare liner, glued it in and pressed down with a pole. It held for 3 years.

I fixed the skimmer cracks with epoxy but could use some help on detection and repair. Can someone suggest a course of action?

My current intention is to buy a leak detection dye, check the niche, repair niche, get a better brass screw for niche? (I think someone put the wrong screw in), somehow dive in to 9' deep and check previous professional patch, fill in sand somehow to level floor, repair the patch with a larger patch.

Should I look into getting this professionally repaired? I know I can only last for 15 sec in the deep end. Also how much can i let my vinyl pool drain and still be safe? I've heard the first step and the last step on the shallow end from people.

Thanks

Where in NY are you??

I am in the Albany area and had a pro out and would highly recommend him. Basically what they do is to put a charge in the pool using their device and then connect the device to ground outside the pool. Electricity seeks ground and since the liner is a good insulator the only way to ground is through a hole in your liner. They have a directional listening device and can pinpoint the leak(s). My guy did 3 big patches and caulked a ton of small holes that must have been from an old brush or vacuum head. Of course he had scuba gear and could stay under for as long as needed. He also had goggles with a magnifying lens.

There isn't much to lose trying to do the patch yourself either. If you have someone with the pole and you can get it applied and they can apply pressure it should work. Remember there is a lot of water holding that patch down!

Im in Long Island :( How much did a repair like this cost you?

I've included some pics of the old patch. Box | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces

The second pic shows the blue patch and the indent formed.

I'm still on the fence about doing this on my own. Since the old patch visibly has no tears there would be no way to fill it in with sand the apply a patch. So the quality of the patch job would be similar.

If im doing the patch myself I would greatly appretiate some tips. Such as products, and whether my vinyl liner should be used for the patch or a dedicated vinyl strip. Since my pool level dropped about a foot, I would still have a 8' dive to patch it :(

Im in Long Island :( How much did a repair like this cost you?

I've included some pics of the old patch. Box | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces

The second pic shows the blue patch and the indent formed.

I'm still on the fence about doing this on my own. Since the old patch visibly has no tears there would be no way to fill it in with sand the apply a patch. So the quality of the patch job would be similar.

I paid $225. I put it off for an entire season and am very sorry i did. I know i read that with leaks it is not uncommon to put a patch on then a bigger patch over that. Typically a piece of liner bigger than the last patch is used. And go with Boxer brand glue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.