Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The biggest problem with this TFP method!

1. Back To Top    #1

The biggest problem with this TFP method!

The biggest problem I see with following the advice on this forum is the crystal clear water! I mean, itís infuriating to be able to see every kernel of sand at 8í.
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in Ď70ís, has 8í deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The biggest problem with this TFP method!

A close second is the inability to enjoy swimming anywhere but home. To even go swimming anywhere but home!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Be sure and go on record in our...."Complaint Dept." forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

It makes me feel good to be underwater in the shallow end, and seeing the light at the deep end, 35 feet away, with crystal clarity.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's all you can complain about? How about lugging gallon bleach bottles, overfilled recycling bin with empties, and having two 35lbs pails of pucks that'll take forever to use?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chyvan View Post
    That's all you can complain about? How about lugging gallon bleach bottles, overfilled recycling bin with empties, and having two 35lbs pails of pucks?
    I've got a 40 gallon trash nearly full of empty bleach containers. One of these Mondays I need to pull a midnight mission of dispersing them in my neighbors' recycling containers on the curb.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by wrems View Post
    The biggest problem I see with following the advice on this forum is the crystal clear water! I mean, itís infuriating to be able to see every kernel of sand at 8í.
    At the risk of turning this into a serious thread, my biggest problem is that I tell friends and family about the method, I mean just the basics so as not to shock them (pardon the pun); and all I get is "really; not "REALLY!", but just the regular "really". And they just continue as before, which is fixing their pools when they go bad and following the pool store advice on chemicals and thinking that's just how it has to be.

I think these folks respect my opinion, and I think I'm keeping it simple explaining it; talking mostly about keeping free chlorine at a level based on CYA; not just 1-4; daily testing and replacing consumed chlorine as determined by the FC level during the test; using only chlorine (usually bleach) as sanitizer and as an algaecide and other, mostly grocery store and hardware items and that's it. No weekly shock or slam; just a few minutes per day to test and replace. They don't disagree with the method. They just won't do it. Is it possible that someone could hear or read about this method and understand it and not want to try it? But that's what I get.

They understand the terms. They even understand the problem with overstabilization and using the term CYA, so it should make sense to them that the higher the CYA, the higher the FC has to be just to do the same work, but I've not got but one person to try the method and his spouse buys some of the unneeded items and puts in the pool, so he's not really doing it but wants to.

My sister-in-law actually fixes peoples pools. Usually really, really bad pools where the pump has not been turned on for a year or more, but she also maintains a few people's pools for them. I asked her if she had ever heard of "BBB" or TFPC or setting the FC based on CYA. She said "no". I explained the differences and sent her a link to the calculator, the pool school, the recommended levels, and the FC/CYA chart. Have never heard back from her. Not a "thanks but no thanks"--nothing! Does she think I'm trying to be a know-it-all. I don't know.

Anyone else get this non caring attitude from others about TFPC?
    7600 gallon; 18'X54" round; vinyl; sand filter and 110V pump, 2-speed.
    Near Cookeville, TN--1/2-way between Nashville--Knoxville along I-40; Highland Rim part of the Appalachian Plateau (we call the Cumberland Plateau for the southern half of this geological region).

8. Back To Top    #8

There are people that want to learn new things, and people that don't. That's just the way it is. Nothing much you can do about it.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am extremely frustrated with the clarity of my pool. The wife reminds me EVERY TIME see sees the smallest bits of debris that the pool needs to be vacuumed. Uhg. At least when it was cloudy there were places for junk to hide.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

I HAD two (notice two) that would not hear me. They both had clear water so....................Well with one it caught up with them! It got cloudy over one day. The next day it was green all over the side and bottom of the pool! "What do I do?????" they asked the pool store LOL The pool store tested their water and tried to sell them $150 of stuff!

They called me and asked if I would come over with my test kit. I did and their CYA was OUT of there! I did not even bother trying to dilute it.

I sent the wife to the store to buy bleach "BLEACH??????" LOL Yes bleach. The husband I set up draining the pool. He only wanted to drain about 50% which I though was a good idea being in FLorida and our high water table.

It took 3 50% drains to get the CYA down to 30! While it was filling each time he was adding bleach and using a sub pump to move the water and bleach around.

His pool is clearer than it has ever been and they are loving their own test kit and their BLEACH! LOL

The other pool? I am here when then need me.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

This TFP method is driving up my electric bill, as I want to have my pool light on all the time so I can see the pretty blue color..
    12 gal freeform, IG pebble, SWG, Floor Pop-ups, 2X Intelliflo SVRS, Jandy (4) Cartridge Filter, Autofill, K-2006 test Kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Adding to Richard's comment... The other day I walked by a hotel with an outdoor pool that was visible from the sidewalk, maybe 10 ft away through a metal fence. The water was blue, but cloudy and there were at least 20 people swimming in that goop... A part of me wanted to test the water to see what the chemistry was like but I didn't have a test kit handy, nor did I want to get arrested for trespassing.

A few years ago, prior to being a pool owner, I would have thought nothing of it.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

I will no longer swim in other people's pools....unless there's a TFP logo hanging on the pool fence.

Honestly, we went to a beautiful resort this past weekend for the 4th of July and I was sitting on a lounge chair watching the wife and kids float by in the "lazy river" pool. Now the water does have perhaps 100 or more people in it BUT it stunk of CCs and was barely visible to the bottom (you could make out peoples feet but not get a proper toe count). All I could think to myself was, "yuck, that is some nasty water!" The entire time I was getting razzed by my family for sitting on the side lines. My response to my wife was, "See, the big chunky dude that is floating on the inner tube? He's consumed about 4 of the 6 beers in his ice pail already and has not left the water....ENOUGH SAID!"

Yip, it's sad but true, TFP turns even the most mild-mannered person into a pool-snob!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

I can tell you how to fix that.
    Get yourself a retrofit LED color changing lightbulb. Then you can see lots of different pretty colors!
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixrhino2 View Post
    This TFP method is driving up my electric bill, as I want to have my pool light on all the time so I can see the pretty blue color..
    - - - Updated - - -

Aint it the truth! ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by wrems View Post
    The biggest problem I see with following the advice on this forum is the crystal clear water! I mean, it’s infuriating to be able to see every kernel of sand at 8’.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    See, the big chunky dude that is floating on the inner tube? He's consumed about 4 of the 6 beers in his ice pail already and has not left the water....
    LOL

I like the logo on the fence idea!
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

My problem is the water is never clear enough. Everyone who sees my pool says they have never seen a pool so clear. But I seem to always strive for it to be just a bit clearer and sparkle just a bit more. Then there is the problem that I can see a single ocotillo leaf at the bottom on the other end of the pool. (For those of you who don't have ocotillo, a large leaf is about 1/4 inch long by about 1/8 wide.)
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    My problem is the water is never clear enough. Everyone who sees my pool says they have never seen a pool so clear. But I seem to always strive for it to be just a bit clearer and sparkle just a bit more. Then there is the problem that I can see a single ocotillo leaf at the bottom on the other end of the pool. (For those of you who don't have ocotillo, a large leaf is about 1/4 inch long by about 1/8 wide.)
    I can make out a single mesquite leaflet at the bottom of the deep end. I then command Kreepy Krauly to go and fetch it yet he seems to just wander aimlessly about the bottom, lazy little bugger....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    A close second is the inability to enjoy swimming anywhere but home.
    This. Just can't do it.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

19. Back To Top    #19

A co-worker asked me today how the pool is coming along. I responded that its the cleanest pool in town. He then showed cell phone pics of his pool, looks OK. He'll be seeing my pics tomorrow.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

20. Back To Top    #20

Throw a coin in the water and show him how you can see the head/tails on it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast