So after some internal strife (Stenner vs. SWG) I decided on Stenner. I did the install this weekend and am up and running. The install only took about 2 hours, most of that spent walking back and forth to the garage to grab another tool. Dummy.
Here's the parts breakdown
Stenner MPHP10 $208 Lockewell.com
Rain cover $11 Lockewell.com
Flow indicator $13 Lockewell.com
15 Gallon drum $41 Uline.com
Woods 50015 outdoor timer $19 Amazon.com
1 gang weather proof receptacle cover $6 Home Depot
Misc. screws and cable ties I had already
Total $298 plus shipping and tax
All of my pool mechanicals are in a small fenced in area so I mounted the pump and timer on the wall. I already had a GFI outlet available so I just added a new weather proof cover that seals up pretty well while in use.
I drilled a hole, a little bigger than the tubing into the small cap in the drum. That should allow for venting while minimizing the amount of rain water that gets in. Also the pump comes with a weighted strainer for the bottom of the pick-up tube. It took me a minute to figure out how I was going to get it inside the tank without running the pick-up through the larger hole, I wanted that for adding bleach. I was able to feed the tube through the smaller hole and stick my fingers down into the larger hole and grab the tube. Installed the weighted strainer from there and dropped back in.
The timer is plugged in just below the two switch boxes at the bottom of the photo. Of note, the cord on the timer is about 12 inches long so I had to use an extension cord. I sealed the connection between the timer and extension cord with electrical tape and then liquid electrical tape and mounted the connection under the pump so it will be out of the rain.
The instructions for the timer recommend resetting it to clear out any old settings, which I though was odd. They don't mention though that you must hit the reset button for the timer to work. I spent 5 minutes cursing at it because it wouldn't allow me to program anything. I then hit reset and it worked like a charm. The timer is easy to set up and you can store 20 on/off cycles. I have started with five 15 minute doses a 10, 12, 2, 4 and 6 based on my recent demand (using 12.5%), we'll see how that goes and I'll adjust if needed.
You may notice that I didn't mention the flow indicator, that's because I didn't use it. I already had all the lines from the pump run when I realized I forgot it. I went to add it in and found out that you have to mount it on the out-put going in an upward direction. Since my lines all run downward, I don't think it would work, and by looking at how it is designed, it may restrict the flow if mounted upside down. To check the flow, I unscrewed the out-put fitting at the pump quickly and bleach came out.
Don't use Teflon tape on the pump connections and only hand tighten the nuts, they should be leak free. I did use Teflon tape and a wrench on the injector.
Depending on any adjustments to my bleach flow, I should get around 22 days on a tank of 12.5% which makes my life a little easier.
If you have any questions, let me know.