Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
It seems like all of the builders we've spoken to use the prefab slabs like air conditioners sit on for the equipment pad. One guy volunteered that they could pour a slab if we wanted them to, and I suppose I could ask that of any builder we go with. But I'm wondering, does it matter one way or the other, as long as there is enough room on whatever pad they go with? Is it worth asking for (and probably paying more for) a poured slab?

I would just like to see room around each piece of equipment to work. A prefab slab is going to be smaller and thus the piping is going to be compact, not lending itself well to repairs or additions in the piping.

As long as the base soil below the prefab pads is properly bedded with a packed gravel or "class 5" or "class 2" material, it should be fine. Prefab slabs can actually sometimes be less prone to cracking than poured slabs, depending on the expertise of the installer. With a poured slab or a prefab, the base material preparation below the concrete is very important. Make sure if it's prefab, it's not undersized. Should be able to stand on the slab next to the equipment, especially near pump and filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.