ph dropped when adding stabilizer

Jun 9, 2015
mississauga
Hoping that someone can help me.
I got the recommended amount of stabilizer in my pool, and all numbers are good but my total alkalinity and ph, PH is now 7.0. I have heard its possible to increase PH with Baking soda, is that so?
I checked out the pool calculator, but it says something about Borax instead of baking soda, now I'm confused.

Baking soda increases your total alkalinity and slightly raises ph. Borax raises ph without affecting total alkalinity. What test kit are you using to get your numbers, and what are all your numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you scroll way down on poolmath, you will see Effects of Adding Chemicals. That will show you that the CYA will lower pH. It will also show you that Baking Soda will raise TA quite a bit for very little pH rise.

You have not given us test results, ("all numbers are good" isn't very useful) so we can't comment intelligently, but depending on TA, you might be able to raise pH by nothing more than aeration. No chemicals may be necessary.

The best way to bring your pH up without tweaking any of the other numbers is through aeration (splashing, fountains, jets, etc.).

I like to drop my pH down to 7.0 - 7.2 just before a pool party, then let the high number of swimmers and splashing bring it back up. I am doing this to decrease my TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.