Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ph dropped when adding stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

ph dropped when adding stabilizer

Hoping that someone can help me.
    I got the recommended amount of stabilizer in my pool, and all numbers are good but my total alkalinity and ph, PH is now 7.0. I have heard its possible to increase PH with Baking soda, is that so?
    I checked out the pool calculator, but it says something about Borax instead of baking soda, now I'm confused.
    16ft x 48in Intex Ultra frame Pool
    1500 GPH krystal clear pump

Located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ph dropped when adding stabilizer

Baking soda increases your total alkalinity and slightly raises ph. Borax raises ph without affecting total alkalinity. What test kit are you using to get your numbers, and what are all your numbers?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

If you scroll way down on poolmath, you will see Effects of Adding Chemicals. That will show you that the CYA will lower pH. It will also show you that Baking Soda will raise TA quite a bit for very little pH rise.

You have not given us test results, ("all numbers are good" isn't very useful) so we can't comment intelligently, but depending on TA, you might be able to raise pH by nothing more than aeration. No chemicals may be necessary.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am using a simple 5 way test kit....a fancy one is not in my budget right now.
    I will test my numbers again in a few hrs and report back, gotta take my little ones to swimming lessons in a few mins.

5. Back To Top    #5

The "A" in CYA stands for ACID. Acids lower pH, no way around that.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

I knew it would lower it, but I am just trying to bring it back up without messing anything up in the process

7. Back To Top    #7

The best way to bring your pH up without tweaking any of the other numbers is through aeration (splashing, fountains, jets, etc.).

I like to drop my pH down to 7.0 - 7.2 just before a pool party, then let the high number of swimmers and splashing bring it back up. I am doing this to decrease my TA.
    Polar Pools, 19' x 39' Vinyl Lined IG, 3' to 9' deep, 33,300 Gallons?
    Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Sand Filter Model # S244T, Compupool SWG, Heliocol Solar Heating
    K-2006 test kit, 1766 Salt Test Kit , Taylor SpeedStir
    Built in 2009, Salt Lake City, UT.