Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vinyl liner feels rough in shallow end walls??

1. Back To Top    #1

vinyl liner feels rough in shallow end walls??

mostly in the shallow end. the vinyl liner feels rough from about half way from the top of the pool and to about half way to the bottum of the pool wall. ie the mid section of the pool wall. any ideas why this is??
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: vinyl liner feels rough in shallow end walls??

Could be an old liner getting rough. Could be calcium scale. Got some test results?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Calcium is at 30 ppm liner I believe is about 5 years old. I would have to look for bill as it was installed by previous owner
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

4. Back To Top    #4

What about PH and TA? 5 years isn't old.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    What about PH and TA? 5 years isn't old.
    I don't have those on hand right now but r they are within normal range
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

6. Back To Top    #6

^i was trying to piece together your history to give a coherent tip about your liner wrinkles.

I've seen a few brief posts without test results. From what I can gather, you mentioned aging added too much chlorine at some recent point after 3 slams, and posted a question about pucks.

First off, unifying your questions in a single thread might help us help you better. Perhaps a mod could merge them.

Secondly, for ANY of your liner questions, we need to know the "event history" that led up to the wrinkles/roughness, etc.

Thirdly, you mentioned buying and using pucks somewhere in there...pucks, high cya and low ph can when combined cause a liner to waterlog/absorb water and cause wrinkles. But so too can using too much chlorine, which is why we have specific parameters that rely on precise testing.

So I guess my question is, do you have a test kit, and do you plan to follow TFP methods? If you do, please post up your test results so we can help you at least identify the possible cause of your liner issue and give suggestions to avoid exacerbating the liners condition moving forward.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have a test kit yet. We had a heavy rain fall. The day after that's when I saw the wrinkles in the shallow in and one buy the shallow end jet. Since then the wrinkle has moved to the middle of the deep end and use a shape of a bubble in the deep end. The bubble has occurred exactly in the deep end where there is an even spot in the pool. When I first got the pool it was a 6-8" uneven spot in the deep end I'm assuming there must off been a drain there before

The only reason why I noticed the rough walls at some spots is cause I swam in it for the first time 2 weeks ago. So I am unsure if the roughness was there before hand or when it occurred. The pool has been open since late June approx.
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water