Water churning in skimmer basket

Jun 16, 2015
Lodi/CA
So, we just recently purchased a 1 hp Hayward Pump with a cartridge filter to replace the inadequate filtration system that came with our 16x48 Intex AG pool. We have been extremely happy with it and it is SO much more powerful than the little pump we had before.

I didn't even realize that we have a potential problem until I saw some threads here about air bubbles. We have lots of bubbles that come to the surface from the return into the pool. The water in the skimmer basket is not "still" or full to the top. It is "churning" with lots of bubbles. Other than that, I see no issue with the pump. The suction is super strong and the return jet is powerful.

So, we have a problem somewhere, though? Should the skimmer basket be filled to the top with zero bubbles and zero bubbles coming from the return? Honestly, as I said, if I hadn't read about it here I would never have known. I've scoured the pump Owners Manual and it makes no mention of air bubbles at all.

We just checked the lid to the skimmer basket and it was on so tight that it took us a bit to loosen it. I don't see how air could get in? We also checked the little drain and tightened that. Would the lack of lubricant cause this problem? We haven't tried that, yet.

Its just a simple design on this AG pool...tubing coming out of pool and into skimmer basket and then running right back into the pool off of the cartridge. Not a lot of room for error?

I'd love any thoughts. This is driving me crazy!

Let's make sure we're speaking the same language.

The skimmer is on the side of the pool. Do you have one, or just the intex screen on the end of a hose? The pump strainer is at the pump. You shouldn't see anything inside the pump strainer normally but solid water. If there's air bubbles, you're sucking air in. Either there's a vortex at the end of the hose, or the hose is leaking. If you have a proper skimmer, it could be as simple as low water level or a sticking flap.

Thanks, Richard. I was definitely calling it the wrong thing. You are correct that we do not have a proper skimmer on this Intex pool. It is just the "over the side" kind plugged into the outlet in the pool wall. So, I should have called it the pump strainer rather than skimmer. But, yes, the pump strainer is full of bubbles.

When you say "vortex" at the end of the hose...what does that mean? The water swirls around going into the skimmer and out of the pool. Is that what you are referring to? And, it sure doesn't look like we have a leaking hose, but I guess I'm not sure how to check that other than by seeing actual water dripping?

Really appreciate your time and help!

Vortex is the fancy term for a tiny whirlpool. If you see the tornado-looking thing inside that over-the-wall skimmer, that's where your air is coming from. Adjusting the skimmer height or setting a rock or something like that in the skimmer basket to break up the vortex will stop the air.

Will definitely try the rock trick. :) The water level is up high enough. I did try pulling the skimmer hose out so that the water sucked directly out of the side of the pool and not through the skimmer basket and it did not change the bubble situation in the pump basket. So, not sure that is the only issue. We just read the pool school page on side suction leaks and we think that it might be the valves on the outgoing and return hoses. Those are pretty shot according to my husband. So, we are going to try to figure this out this week.

Thank you for your help!

Hi liulady, we have the exact same problem here. Intex AG pool, over the side skimmer and just replaced with a hayward pump. Were you able to locate the issue? What did you to do resolve? I am thinking it is the hoses as well on mine, but just wondering. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.