Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: New Pool Water & Need to Adjust

1. Back To Top    #1

King city

Re: New Pool Water & Need to Adjust

I have a stinky pool. I have chlorinated and shocked. But smells like fish. Fc is 0. PH is 8.4 and take is 80. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New Pool Water & Need to Adjust

Welcome to TFP!

Stinky pools usually stink because of algae. Algae grows when there is not enough chlorine maintained in the pool.

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is important to maintain chlorine at target level and never let FC drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow.

It is also important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

We get rid of algae by following the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain process.

It requires a good test kit from the Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF100 from

here is a little more info on how we maintain pools.
    TFPC for Beginners
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Please add your state to your location, climate is an important aspect of pool care. Also, add you pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach