Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One Corner About Five Inches Lower Than Others

1. Back To Top    #1

One Corner About Five Inches Lower Than Others

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this. Our pool is over 30 years old. It was built on the side of a hill, with the backside of the structure built up with soil and covered with rock. I have been told that the walls are steel, with concrete footers (probably).

Right now, the back right corner (the most 'exposed' corner) is about five inches lower than the other three. As far as we know (bought the house in January), it has been this way for years, due to settling.

My question...is this repairable?

Here's a photo (Note: this is pre-slam. The cloudiness in the deep end is gone. ):

pool 061215.jpg
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One Corner About Five Inches Lower Than Others

If that pool has truly sunk up to 5 inches in that corner, I'd think the bottom shell would be cracked all to pieces. Any evidence of that?
    And that concrete apron sure appears to be in good shape in that area. Sure it wasn't just built like that for some odd reason?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

No evidence of any cracking of the pool itself. There are cracks in the concrete apron on that side, but way more on the opposite side. I assume this is all from settling over the years. It bugs me because it's not level, but my husband says not to worry about it unless we notice a bigger drop. I just don't want it to get to a point where it DOES harm the structure of the pool itself. Tomorrow I'll take a photo of the backside.
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Certainly no similar experience here, but I can't imagine there is a fix to this for a liner pool. Hopefully my skepticism will invite others with possible solutions to speak up.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm sure you could fix it.... for the cost of a brand new pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm with hubs. If it's only broke a little don't fix it. I've seen a few wonky jawed pools around here from clay soil and whatever issues and they are fine up to a point. Many moved once and haven't moved in years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Many old concrete structures move. It's reassuring that there is no evidence of water leakage. I would get a professional opinion. Maybe two or three. Assuming it was built with enough steel it may not be a big issue
    Owner Builder; Under construction, 17K Gallons SWG IG Geometric; 31X20'; 600sf; 104ft perim; depth 4'-6'. Sun-shelf; bubblers; sheer descents; Dolphin M400; Pentair Intelliflo XF; Clean and Clear 520; Easytouch 8; IC40; 2 color LEDs; TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

I am just building a pool, and have never owned a pool before so can't speak to "fixing it". However, when the time comes, if you replace the liner with something that doesn't have a tile boarder the eye won't pick up on it nearly as much.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm afraid Casey is right. there is no repair outside of a rebuild that will fix this.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

If you knock on the deck does it sound hollow? When you gently run your hand over the liner in the corner is it sold without give?

If it doesn't sound hollow and the wall feels solid then I would leave it alone.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

The decking & coping don't look like they are cracked or settled and that is the only thing that would cause a pool to go out of level.

I mean if you had a pool floor perfectly level and one side settles 5 inches, as long as the coping & decking haven't settled the water line would still be level.

Unless you see that the decking/walkway concrete is settling/cracked, I would say that pool has always been that way and unfortunately both of your skimmers are on that wall so one is always high and the other always low.

..... Sorry , I see what you are saying the entire footer may have settled, taking the entire pool wall, coping & concrete in that corner down. I would think you'd see the deck really sunk in that corner?
    Either way, you could hire some concrete guys with special hydraulic equipment they could very carefully pump more mortar under that footer corner and lift the entire thing.
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

12. Back To Top    #12

Here's a closer look. There are two cracks in the decking on that corner. One is to the left of the skimmer, and one is right about where that left palm plant is.

pool 061215 2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    If you knock on the deck does it sound hollow? When you gently run your hand over the liner in the corner is it sold without give?

If it doesn't sound hollow and the wall feels solid then I would leave it alone.
    I will check this in a bit when I go out. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ascew View Post
    I am just building a pool, and have never owned a pool before so can't speak to "fixing it". However, when the time comes, if you replace the liner with something that doesn't have a tile boarder the eye won't pick up on it nearly as much.
    That is a great idea! I'm sure most of my worry is due to my OCD-like tendency to worry. If I could fool myself into thinking it was more level, I'm sure I could just forget about it.
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

If it is not leaking leave it be! WHEN you need a new liner or other major work then THINK about doing something about it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

OK, here are some better photos. Sorry for sharing so many.

Wendy_Milligan_Sack's Library | Photobucket

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post

No, it does not sound hollow, and the corner liner feels solid.
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I would take some good pics of those cracks using a ruler to keep track of the size. I would save the pics and take new ones after big rains or about once a month just to see if they are getting bigger or changing.

I would NOT try to jack the pool up if it is not losing water.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by wjaneala View Post
    If I could fool myself into thinking it was more level, I'm sure I could just forget about it.
    LOL! That is me in a nutshell. I care how stuff looks, hubby is responsible for all the "engineering, mechanical, electrical".
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm so happy! Turns out that the company that built our pool back in the 80s is still around (local, family-owned business), and I got some info. Apparently that corner has been that way for many, many years. So, it may not be perfect, but at least I know that it's not an emergency and I know who to go to when/if we want to do any reno on our beast.
    Wendy
    TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

CANNON BALL!!!!!!!!! Time to have fun! That has to be a wight off your shoulders!

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

What a relief! Time to kick back and enjoy your favorite beverage, poolside!