Who is building an Island this Spring?

Re: Who is building and Island this Spring?

I got a large Big Green Egg over christmas and I've at least got to build a table for it. Our whole patio will be undergoing surgery so a built in or two will be in order, but I'll probably leave the Egg in something modular so I can pull it for tailgates and whatnot.

Love your avatar!
I have seen BGE's in Islands with clearance around them to allow for easy removal. Here is a BGE framed.

Attachments

• Big Green Egg built in 1.jpg
    Big Green Egg built in 1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 724

I am building mine now. I need to get some pictures posted of my build. Been going well so far and is not terribly difficult just going slower than I had hoped.

Brad

dannyboy said:
Hey Spishex,

How is that large egg?
I am very tempted to purchase one but am a little dubious as I cannot find any bad reviews other than the initial outlay.
Are they as good as they all say they are?

I found this link for a table I wanted to build if I do get one - may be useful. Scroll down to table plans...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm

If you want an unbiased report, don't go to a dealer IE Naked Whiz...
That said, the BGE is the best one I know of. I know a California State Champion BBQ'r that uses one.

DrDave said:
Did you ever get started? I'm just 18 miles east of you and the weather is perfect right now for building an Island.

Yeah, the weather's nice, but I still haven't finished the water and sewer lines yet. I'm also finishing-up on installing conduit for speakers, outdoor lighting, etc. before the pool decking goes in. I hope it won't be too much longer. I'm in East Oceanside, not too far away!

dannyboy said:
Hey Spishex,

How is that large egg?
I am very tempted to purchase one but am a little dubious as I cannot find any bad reviews other than the initial outlay.
Are they as good as they all say they are?

I found this link for a table I wanted to build if I do get one - may be useful. Scroll down to table plans...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm

I love mine. In fact, I'm making some BBQ'd butt tonight for this weekend. I got it as a gift, so that helps, since the only downside I can see is the initial price.

In the winter I was able to cook as low as 180 without much of a problem. I think they advertise 115 or something, and that might be possible in warm weather but I haven't tried it yet. I would imagine that's a little exaggerated.

It's also a great conversation piece. I brought it to a tailgate (when the Panthers got TROUNCED in the playoffs :cry: ) and instantly made friends with everyone in the vicinity. I was surprised that so many grill-friendly folks had never seen one. Got me lots of free beer.

For me, it's best for cooking in the 200-350 range, although it's plenty capable of high temp cooking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.