Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who is building an Island this Spring?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who is building an Island this Spring?

Spring is just around the corner. Time to start your BBQ Island plans for that project you have only dreamed about before.

It is easier than most people think. If you have any reservations, post your questions here.
    DrDave
    http://plansbyjorde.tripod.com
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who is building and Island this Spring?

I got a large Big Green Egg over christmas and I've at least got to build a table for it. Our whole patio will be undergoing surgery so a built in or two will be in order, but I'll probably leave the Egg in something modular so I can pull it for tailgates and whatnot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Love your avatar!
    I have seen BGE's in Islands with clearance around them to allow for easy removal. Here is a BGE framed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DrDave

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm thinking about doing one myself as soon as the pool is done. But there's been too many rain delays.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

I am building mine now. I need to get some pictures posted of my build. Been going well so far and is not terribly difficult just going slower than I had hoped.

Brad

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami
    I'm thinking about doing one myself as soon as the pool is done. But there's been too many rain delays.
    Did you ever get started? I'm just 18 miles east of you and the weather is perfect right now for building an Island.
    DrDave

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Who is building an Island this Spring?

Hey Spishex,

How is that large egg?
    I am very tempted to purchase one but am a little dubious as I cannot find any bad reviews other than the initial outlay.
    Are they as good as they all say they are?

I found this link for a table I wanted to build if I do get one - may be useful. Scroll down to table plans...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm
    25k Inground Vinyl - 3ft to 10ft, Tagelus TA-60 Sand, Minimax 400 Heater, Save T3 autocover.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    Hey Spishex,

How is that large egg?
    I am very tempted to purchase one but am a little dubious as I cannot find any bad reviews other than the initial outlay.

I found this link for a table I wanted to build if I do get one - may be useful. Scroll down to table plans...

If you want an unbiased report, don't go to a dealer IE Naked Whiz...
    That said, the BGE is the best one I know of. I know a California State Champion BBQ'r that uses one.
    DrDave

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave
    Did you ever get started? I'm just 18 miles east of you and the weather is perfect right now for building an Island.
    Yeah, the weather's nice, but I still haven't finished the water and sewer lines yet. I'm also finishing-up on installing conduit for speakers, outdoor lighting, etc. before the pool decking goes in. I hope it won't be too much longer. I'm in East Oceanside, not too far away!
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    Hey Spishex,

How is that large egg?

I love mine. In fact, I'm making some BBQ'd butt tonight for this weekend. I got it as a gift, so that helps, since the only downside I can see is the initial price.

In the winter I was able to cook as low as 180 without much of a problem. I think they advertise 115 or something, and that might be possible in warm weather but I haven't tried it yet. I would imagine that's a little exaggerated.

It's also a great conversation piece. I brought it to a tailgate (when the Panthers got TROUNCED in the playoffs ) and instantly made friends with everyone in the vicinity. I was surprised that so many grill-friendly folks had never seen one. Got me lots of free beer.

For me, it's best for cooking in the 200-350 range, although it's plenty capable of high temp cooking.