Pool Newbie

Jul 5, 2015
Leland/NC
Hi all
I've been lurking reading up on pool maintenance. I live in hot, humid North Carolina and purchased an intex 15x48 in easy set pool. We got about 2 weeks of lovely swimming before it was taken over by frogs and hundreds of tadpols. Yuck! Not only did it become a disgusting swamp...the frogs serenaded us (and our neighbors) each and every night. We had no choice put to take the pool down (or shoot the frogs with bb guns lol)
Anyway as I read through this forum I realize our mistake. We stuck the pool in the yard and forgot about it. Just neglected it and wondered why it turned into swampland.
We were left with nothing but a big round area of dead sod.

My husband made me promise to NEVER get another pool lol. Well against his wishes I just purchased a 12x30 metal framed pool. My kids will never forget how much fun it was having a pool....so the kids won lol.

So I've been reading up on how to prevent the swamp nightmare this time.
Is it really as easy as a test kit, bleach, baking soda and borax? Will that keep the frogs away?

Do I fill the pool, test, add BBB, and retest daily?

Forgive me if I'm hesitant....I've always thought you needed to invest in hundreds of dollars and take up pool maintenance as a part time job.

Thanks!

Once you have initial readings and get your pool dialed into the ranges we recommend, you can test FC daily, PH twice a week, the rest once a week and CYA monthly usually. Welcome!

Hi Brokepoolgirl,

Get yourself the TF100 test kit from TFTestkits.net
they are right there NC too, so you can have it quick.

Dont go out and buy any baking soda or borax yet. You might not even need it. It just depends on the water, and you have to test it to know.
Get bleach. You will definitely need it.
You also are going to need some Stabilizer, referred to on this forum as CYA.

Oh, and yes, it really is as easy as testing, and adding chlorine (bleach). Easy as pie, but you HAVE to do it, or it will go green.

Here are a couple of articles from pool school that will be really helpful to you and also a link to pool math.
These are the basics. Dont worry about learing everything immediately and ask any questions if you have have questions about stuff.
And no more frogs.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Welcome! :wave:

A test kit is a must. Strips don't cut it and pool stores are generally wrong and overload you with product.

What chemicals you need depends entirely on test results. I've never had to add Borax or Baking Soda (Or Soda ash or clarifier or Calcium or metal sequestrant or ... you get the idea. Pretty much the only absolutes are stabilizer (CYA - cyanuric acid) and bleach. Everything else depends on test results.

And yes, it does get pretty easy when the test kit is at hand. You'll quickly learn the pool's appetite and buying the week's bleach with the groceries will become routine. Daily care is about as difficult and time-consuming as brushing your teeth. Vacuuming once a week is less than half an hour. Brushing is less than that.

Since your old pool probably did not have any chlorine in it, likely mosquitos and other insects laid eggs in there which attract frogs. You grew a whole pool full of frog snacks! If you stay on top of the water chemistry your pool will not turn into a frog sanctuary!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.