Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Old Swimming Pool water to flush toilets

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Old Swimming Pool water to flush toilets

This is another one of my threads to address the droughts in the Western States. This idea is that it might be possible to set up a feeder line from a swimming pool's filter pump and have it supply water to a toilet to reuse the water. The fresh water that would normally go to the toilet would go to the swimming pool first and then the toilet. The idea behind this is that the pool would get some water replaced every time the toilet flushes vs having to empty out the pool to change the water in it and let the toilet waste new drinking water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Old Swimming Pool water to flush toilets

You would have to have a very good back flow preventer. If pool water went into drinking water you would have problems. Also do you have a septic? If you do are the pool chemicals going to mess that up? I made a setup that used gray water from the shower to fill a tank that pumped into the toilet. It worked good but the wife did not like it so I did away with it. Good luck

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm currently working on a idea that would use old fish tank water from a 500 gallon goldfish tank and send it though a system of gravel filters to have it enter a toilet. The toilet would be sealed off from the house water system by getting all of it's water from the fish tank. But the idea would be set up were if it doesn't work I could hook it back up to the house's water system.

The idea is that the fish tank water stays cleaner the more it's replaced and a toilet uses 40 to 60 gallons of water a day.

4. Back To Top    #4

Use a float in the toilet like on a boat sump pump to fill the toilet tank. You flush pump kicks on until tank is full. You should have no real problems but slower tank fills and water rings.(wife did not like that)

5. Back To Top    #5

Just setting a bucket in the bathtub to catch the water that goes down the drain while you wait for it to warm up is an easier way to conserve water. It can get poured in the toilet tank, or used for watering plants, or just slung into the pool to replace evaporative losses.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

There is no way any of my toilets use that much water in a day ... MAYBE half that, but I don't think any are flushed enough for even half to be true.

Interesting ideas though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Many many years ago while living in Virginia Beach, VA our water supply was in dire shape and the city instituted water rationing of 50gal/per/day. OMG we all became experts at creative water use. First everyone got wells sunk for the lawns and gardens. Then their was the practice of minimal toilet flushing- "If its yellow-let it mellow, if its brown-flush it down". Gross, huh? We also set up the clothes washer so that the laundry sink would collect the final rinse water and we'd use that to start the next load of wash or if it wasn't needed, filling a small trashcan with the water and using it to flush the toilet.

It was not a lot of fun yet everyone was in it together so it made it more tolerable and in some ways adventurous. Necessity is the mother of adventure and all that....
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    There is no way any of my toilets use that much water in a day ... MAYBE half that, but I don't think any are flushed enough for even half to be true.

Interesting ideas though.
    A modern toilet used about 1 gallon per flush. I doubt we have 10 flushes a day at my house.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

If you need to use 40 gals a day dont filter the water and send it to a garden or lawn. Fish poop would be good for the pants and your fish would get fresh water. Or turn part of you tank into a hydroponic garden the plants will clean the water. I like to tinker so I would build the toilet for the fun of it.

10. Back To Top    #10

It's on my hurricane plan - with the pool I have a 19,000 gallon resevoir of fresh water, to be used as needed, for toilets or even drinking / cooking (may have to be boiled first). And yes I'm on a septic system...
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool water should be a last resort for drinking water. There are threads discussing this.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!