Adding DE to sand filter?

DE is just calcined (heat treated) silica from extinct algae fossils. It does not trap metals unless the metals first scale out of solution as metal particulates. If metals do scale out of solution, they are more likely to stain your pool wall before getting trapped in the filter.

Do you have metal scaling? Tea colored brownish water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No metal scaling or brown water. Discoloration on my steps and a nice green color that I am suspicious might be copper. i have been slamming since Sunday and don't see much improvement. My water is clear ( I see the main drains in the deep end which is 9ft). I have passed the OCLT twice and my CC is 0.25 but the water still is not totally clear and certainly not colorless. i was pool stored early on and added a bunch of copper algaecide. At this point, I am just confused and trying to determine if I keep slamming or drop the FC so I can add some metal out. I don't want to quit the SLAM too soon but if I am just wasting my time I will be heartbroken....lol I just want to enjoy my pool.....

If you used copper-based algaecides, then you need to test your water for Cu concentration. Based on that result, you might have to drain some of your pool water and then add sequestrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheapest way to get a ballpark number for Copper (Cu) is to have it tested at the... pool store. Just don't trust any of their other numbers... wear earplugs in the store if you must. ;) You can also order the copper test kit from tftestkits.net but the pool store ball park is probably enough. Have you tried putting a trichlor tablet on the stain to see if it fades? Based on the green color, it is probably copper staining but that's worth a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.