Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to sand filter?

I am thinking that I want to add some DE to my sand filter to help clear up my water faster . I also read that it traps metals? Wondering if that is really true. Any tips on where to purchase the DE and best way to use it? Thanks!
    20 X 40 in-ground, vinyl liner, 36K gallons, SWG, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to sand filter?

Sure, here is how, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

You can buy it in the pool section of any bigbox store. Make sure it is DE for pools and not for gardens. I have not heard anything abojt it trapping metals.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Adding DE to sand filter?

DE is just calcined (heat treated) silica from extinct algae fossils. It does not trap metals unless the metals first scale out of solution as metal particulates. If metals do scale out of solution, they are more likely to stain your pool wall before getting trapped in the filter.

Do you have metal scaling? Tea colored brownish water?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

No metal scaling or brown water. Discoloration on my steps and a nice green color that I am suspicious might be copper. i have been slamming since Sunday and don't see much improvement. My water is clear ( I see the main drains in the deep end which is 9ft). I have passed the OCLT twice and my CC is 0.25 but the water still is not totally clear and certainly not colorless. i was pool stored early on and added a bunch of copper algaecide. At this point, I am just confused and trying to determine if I keep slamming or drop the FC so I can add some metal out. I don't want to quit the SLAM too soon but if I am just wasting my time I will be heartbroken....lol I just want to enjoy my pool.....

6. Back To Top    #6

Home Depot has it in the garden center with the pool chemicals and supplies.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

If you used copper-based algaecides, then you need to test your water for Cu concentration. Based on that result, you might have to drain some of your pool water and then add sequestrant.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

How do I test for Cu concentration?

9. Back To Top    #9

Cheapest way to get a ballpark number for Copper (Cu) is to have it tested at the... pool store. Just don't trust any of their other numbers... wear earplugs in the store if you must. You can also order the copper test kit from tftestkits.net but the pool store ball park is probably enough. Have you tried putting a trichlor tablet on the stain to see if it fades? Based on the green color, it is probably copper staining but that's worth a try.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons