Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: kreepy krauly thoughts

1. Back To Top    #1

kreepy krauly thoughts

Anyone have a kreepy krauly? What do you think
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: kreepy krauly thoughts

Based on what I've read here at TFP, most folks prefer robots or pressure side cleaners over suction side cleaners. Have not used a Kreepy Krauly myself though.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not sure I have seen that pressure cleaners are preferred over a suction cleaner (certainly not a boosted pressure cleaner which is a waste of electricity).

I think there are better suction cleaners than the KK ... namely ThePoolCleaner that I now use.

Here is info on the various cleaner types: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I've used a Kreepy Krauly for 20 years. Overall I like it, but don't have any experience with other methods for a comparison. If you get a Kreepy, also get the Leaf Cannister that goes between the Kreepy and suction fitting.

Things I don't like about it are:
    1. Sometimes it get's stuck on the stairs and I have to pull it off. This happens once every few days.
    2. I only run my pool 2 hours a day, so Kreepy may not completely clean the whole surface in 2 hours. When I swim (daily), I disconnect the hose from Kreepy and use it to suck up any missed debris.

Overall, I'm happy with it.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    I've used a Kreepy Krauly for 20 years. Overall I like it, but don't have any experience with other methods for a comparison. If you get a Kreepy, also get the Leaf Cannister that goes between the Kreepy and suction fitting.

Things I don't like about it are:
    1. Sometimes it get's stuck on the stairs and I have to pull it off. This happens once every few days.
    2. I only run my pool 2 hours a day, so Kreepy may not completely clean the whole surface in 2 hours. When I swim (daily), I disconnect the hose from Kreepy and use it to suck up any missed debris.

Overall, I'm happy with it.
    Thank you that's what I wanted to know, as for pressure side, I don't have a booster pomp so that's completely out
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

6. Back To Top    #6

Another really good thing about Kreepy is that it only has 1 moving part, and I've never replaced that part. I've replaced the flat circular part at the bottom and the flappers just above that, but replacement parts are easy to find online.

If you decide to get one, check out the online prices (e.g. Amazon). Much less money than getting one at a pool store.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have one also, but we have a cover that goes on the pool that is used when we are not swimming. We will only use the cleaner once every 3-4 weeks and take it out of the pool when not in use. It works good, but the random pattern misses a lot of spots unless you run the cleaner for hours.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

8. Back To Top    #8

My parents used a Kreepy in our pool all through my childhood (of course, back then there weren't too many options for "automatic" pool cleaners...).

I "inherited" my parents' old Kreepy and their "new" Barracuda when I bought my house. I took them both apart and discovered they needed new diaphragms. Ordered up new factory replacements, and the Kreepy just wouldn't run right. The Barracuda did great, except I could never get it adjusted/weighted correctly -- it would either sit flat in the shallow end and be "toe up" in the deep end, or flat in the deep end and "heel up" in the shallow end. The new diaphragm lasted about 2 weeks. The replacement I bought after that lasted maybe a month.

I also always had trouble with the Kreepy and Barracuda sucking air. Replaced the hoses (not a cheap endeavor...) to no avail. The leaf canister was a major contributor, as well -- I just never could get mine to sink and/or seal up like it should.

Maybe those are unique problems of mine (I wasn't quite as "into" pool maintenance, and certainly wasn't a TFP'er at that point)...

Regardless, I switched to a Hayward TigerShark QC last summer and have never regretted it.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain