FC read 13 this morning but I had to work and just got home. Tested it and it was down to 4.5. So I added another 4 bottles of the liquid chlorine but the pool is still green. Can I backwash the pool during this process. It's so discouraging because the readings keep going up and down but the water never gets any better looking. I have no clue what else to do.

Yes, it is fine to backwash when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. Test FC and add to get it back to shock level 3 or 4 times per day. Filter 24x7. Brush daily. The process will work but it takes some time.

That is a little high. Is your CYA 40? With FC target of 16? Just test your FC as often as you can every 3 or 4 hours if possible. Enter the number in Poolmath NOW, enter 16 in the TARGET, make sure the chlorine percentage is correct and add whatever it says to get back to 16. If you will be gone all day it is OK to raise it to 20.

The chlorine is working, it will gradually drop more slowly as everything gets killed in the pool.

Just tested it. Back down to 12 so added a little under 200 oz of bleach, as per calc.

That is a little high. Is your CYA 40? With FC target of 16? Just test your FC as often as you can every 3 or 4 hours if possible. Enter the number in Poolmath NOW, enter 16 in the TARGET, make sure the chlorine percentage is correct and add whatever it says to get back to 16. If you will be gone all day it is OK to raise it to 20.

The chlorine is working, it will gradually drop more slowly as everything gets killed in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep up the bleach until you pass the three tests. For a final extra clean, you can look at adding a tiny amount of DE to your sand. There is a procedure in Pool School for this. Look around and I'm sure you'll find it. If not, I'll post a link as soon as I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.