Pool anxiety

robertmee

Jun 26, 2015
Raleigh
Having just completed my first SLAM on our brand new pool I've let the FC levels drop to 7 FC. I've cut my pump schedule back to 12 hours and put 200 lbs of salt to bring my levels up to 3500 using a drop test. Im dosing in the final CYA for a level of 70. I know everything is right but does anyone else get anxiety about FC levels in the 4 to 6 ppm range? Lol. I'm so used to keeping my new pool at SLAM levels this low FC and not monitoring every few hours is foreign to me. It's like I don't want to break my baby and I'm acting like a nervous momma.

Many of us ride our FC slightly higher than the target FC. We learned over the season that the pool just needs a little more FC to stay "healthy" and ensure it never drops below the target. I myself try to never rely on the mimum FC. I worry that the stress of heat, sun, and swimming is too much for that low FC to handle. It's good you are so proactive. Stick to and trust your own testing results and watch your water. You'll do fine.

It was great Sandra. We had about 60 guests...15 of those kids. I was expecting a huge loss in FC but through the course of 5 hours dropped only down to 10. Everyone was congratulating throughout the night on such a beautiful clean pool....I blabbered all night long about pool chemistry..lol

I SO know what you mean! I dose mine just over the max for my CYA at night (so it can work all night long) so I am sure there is plenty for all day. I do NOT want to take any chances. LOL

DO what feels good. You will learn your pool needs and wants. After a while you will even be able to tell where your PH is BEFORE you test! I still test to make sure but.........I am almost always right!

Kim

YES!!! I am still a nervous pool mama! Like others, I have found, that I have a better chance of not dipping below 4 if I keep my FC between 6-8. With my pool, I just never know when a critter will find it's way into the skimmer (frog, rabbit, rat, etc) so I've had a few close calls where I've tested FC in the evening and it's been at 1.5 or a 2.5. Of course I panic :eek:. , I have an SWG, but I add bleach to get it back to 6, do an OLCT, and so far it's been good. I am slowly learning my pool personality and what it needs. You will too. If you're like me, you definitely don't want to end up in another big SLAM. ;)

quote-good-judgment-comes-from-experience-and-a-lot-of-that-comes-from-bad-judgment-will-rogers-156977.jpg

The only reason my pool FC is under 10 ppm is so I can test PH. It is nearly always above 8 with 70 CYA and spends a lot of time at 10ish because we swim a lot. Hours every day.

I got lazy after vacation a few weeks ago when the temp went up and swimmjng went up and I tested FC was 1.5! Added bleach got in and saw algae for the first time in years! :shock: Ran FC to upper 20s, just under shock, and brushed every day for a week and it is long gone. But we swam every day for a week and a half in 20+ chlorine and it was not even noticeable. We did kill a couple of frogs every day that week, none before and none after. Weird.

Speaking of ph...I just ran the full battery of tests as I'm leaving for a few days and want it perfect for the wife and kids...the numbers

FC 6
CC .5
Salt 3800
ALK 80
CYA 30 and expect to climb as I added stabilizer for 70

PH however dropped to 7.2 from 7.5 yesterday evening.

Does CYA or salt lower PH...I added those two today. I threw in some dry PH up I had for the hot tub to bring it back up. Just curious why/how it could drop .4 in 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Speaking of ph...I just ran the full battery of tests as I'm leaving for a few days and want it perfect for the wife and kids...the numbers

FC 6
CC .5
Salt 3800
ALK 80
CYA 30 and expect to climb as I added stabilizer for 70

PH however dropped to 7.2 from 7.5 yesterday evening.

Does CYA or salt lower PH...I added those two today. I threw in some dry PH up I had for the hot tub to bring it back up. Just curious why/how it could drop .4 in 24 hours.
Check Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath. CYA will lower pH a little bit. It will only be a rough estimate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.