Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool anxiety

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool anxiety

Having just completed my first SLAM on our brand new pool I've let the FC levels drop to 7 FC. I've cut my pump schedule back to 12 hours and put 200 lbs of salt to bring my levels up to 3500 using a drop test. Im dosing in the final CYA for a level of 70. I know everything is right but does anyone else get anxiety about FC levels in the 4 to 6 ppm range? Lol. I'm so used to keeping my new pool at SLAM levels this low FC and not monitoring every few hours is foreign to me. It's like I don't want to break my baby and I'm acting like a nervous momma.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool anxiety

Many of us ride our FC slightly higher than the target FC. We learned over the season that the pool just needs a little more FC to stay "healthy" and ensure it never drops below the target. I myself try to never rely on the mimum FC. I worry that the stress of heat, sun, and swimming is too much for that low FC to handle. It's good you are so proactive. Stick to and trust your own testing results and watch your water. You'll do fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it's awesome that you have a brand new pool and that you've found this site at the same time. Your new pool should never have to get sick.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

hehe. I'm the same way. My pool should stay around 4-6 but really I keep it around 7-8 because it makes me feel better. How was the swim party???
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

It was great Sandra. We had about 60 guests...15 of those kids. I was expecting a huge loss in FC but through the course of 5 hours dropped only down to 10. Everyone was congratulating throughout the night on such a beautiful clean pool....I blabbered all night long about pool chemistry..lol
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I SO know what you mean! I dose mine just over the max for my CYA at night (so it can work all night long) so I am sure there is plenty for all day. I do NOT want to take any chances. LOL

DO what feels good. You will learn your pool needs and wants. After a while you will even be able to tell where your PH is BEFORE you test! I still test to make sure but.........I am almost always right!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

YES!!! I am still a nervous pool mama! Like others, I have found, that I have a better chance of not dipping below 4 if I keep my FC between 6-8. With my pool, I just never know when a critter will find it's way into the skimmer (frog, rabbit, rat, etc) so I've had a few close calls where I've tested FC in the evening and it's been at 1.5 or a 2.5. Of course I panic . , I have an SWG, but I add bleach to get it back to 6, do an OLCT, and so far it's been good. I am slowly learning my pool personality and what it needs. You will too. If you're like me, you definitely don't want to end up in another big SLAM.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

8. Back To Top    #8

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

The only reason my pool FC is under 10 ppm is so I can test PH. It is nearly always above 8 with 70 CYA and spends a lot of time at 10ish because we swim a lot. Hours every day.

I got lazy after vacation a few weeks ago when the temp went up and swimmjng went up and I tested FC was 1.5! Added bleach got in and saw algae for the first time in years! Ran FC to upper 20s, just under shock, and brushed every day for a week and it is long gone. But we swam every day for a week and a half in 20+ chlorine and it was not even noticeable. We did kill a couple of frogs every day that week, none before and none after. Weird.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Speaking of ph...I just ran the full battery of tests as I'm leaving for a few days and want it perfect for the wife and kids...the numbers

FC 6
    CC .5
    Salt 3800
    ALK 80
    CYA 30 and expect to climb as I added stabilizer for 70

PH however dropped to 7.2 from 7.5 yesterday evening.

Does CYA or salt lower PH...I added those two today. I threw in some dry PH up I had for the hot tub to bring it back up. Just curious why/how it could drop .4 in 24 hours.
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Speaking of ph...I just ran the full battery of tests as I'm leaving for a few days and want it perfect for the wife and kids...the numbers

FC 6
    CC .5
    Salt 3800
    ALK 80
    CYA 30 and expect to climb as I added stabilizer for 70

PH however dropped to 7.2 from 7.5 yesterday evening.

Does CYA or salt lower PH...I added those two today. I threw in some dry PH up I had for the hot tub to bring it back up. Just curious why/how it could drop .4 in 24 hours.
    Check Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath. CYA will lower pH a little bit. It will only be a rough estimate.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

PH is ok between 7.2 and 7.8.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach