Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does size really matter?? lol

1. Back To Top    #1

Does size really matter?? lol

We are going to upgrade our 16 x 48inch Intel Metal Frame pool to an 18 foot (which is all the room we have) but aren't sure about also going up to 52 inches... it's several hundred dollars (we are going to go Ultra Frame I believe)... and it's heavier and we have to ship outside the US (Turks and Caicos Islands).

Any comments on the pleasure scale adding these 4 extra inches?? is it worth $250 - $300 in price difference?? We frequently have kids in the pool so it might make a difference with the little guys too, we are trying to consider all possible repercussions..

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does size really matter?? lol

Doesn't seem worth it to me.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

For 300 it is not worth it. I have the 18 ft x 52, but i got it for a steal at toysrus last year for 189 bucks. I would spend the 300 difference to get a nice pump/filter. Thats my 2 cents. Also the extra inches could make it more hazardous for the little ones.

G

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm inclined to agree

5. Back To Top    #5

For the price, I would skip it and use the money for better equipment.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Depends on the size of your children. Our 48" pool was great, until..... My son shot up to 5'11". Then the pool barely made it past his waistline. Looked like he was in a kiddie pool. We just upgraded to a 52", but it isn't full yet. If your kids are no where close to puberty, I would go with what your budget is comfortable with. If they are nearly teens, I'd suggested the deeper one.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

We find the 16' x 48" plenty for all of us adults and the kids. Save your money and put it towards a better pump and filter system.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

8. Back To Top    #8

For me, I think it does make a difference. I like the extra height.
    AGP 33' x 54" Lomart Verona, Approx. 27,300 gallons, Pentair cartridge filter/pump 2-speed, 1.5 hp, Dolphin Escape robotic cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Size definitely matters.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

You might try doing a search, there have been some here who have dished the middle of the intex's a little (4-5"?) to get a little extra depth. I don't remember the specifics, but a search might find them.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

11. Back To Top    #11

Going from 16x48 to 18x52 is 25% increase in surface area and almost 50% in total volume. That's pretty signficant if you ask me.
    Adding 4" to our pool depth made a HUGE difference.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

12. Back To Top    #12

I agree....I have a 54" pool. And my son is only 6 but he is already wanting a deeper pool. He's 52" right now. He can touch the bottom on his tip toes right now. I cant imagine when he gets to be 16. 54" is perfect for cannon balls and kids jumping in. I think my boy would hit bottom with a 48" pool when he jumps in.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

13. Back To Top    #13

So, I guess it all boils down to what your going to do with it. Jump in, cannonballs, etc (NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE MFG), or just have a nice pool to play in, float around etc.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.