Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hot tub heating above set temperature

1. Back To Top    #1

hot tub heating above set temperature

Hi, I could use some help with my old hot tub. I changed the heater recently and figure I must have screwed something up. The temperature is set to 100 but heats up to 110. Would this be a problem with the heat sensor or the high limit sensor. Since the hot tub temperature is showing as 110 - I assume the temperature setting is working fine. I suspected I had over tightened the plate that houses the high limit sensor when I put it back together but I took it apart just now and the wire doesn't look damaged. I don't see where the temperature sensor is housed - the wire goes up into the hot tub through a small hole where the top side controller wire goes. I understand it has to be in the plumbing somewhere but I don't want to tear the hot tup apart to find it. I would have replaced the high limit sensor to see if that was the problem but there is no code on it - it's a correct-tech mini max digital spa oak (2001).

Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hot tub heating above set temperature

Where are you located? Is the tub getting a bit of extra help with heat from the heat outside and just registering the heat level in total?

I'd suggest you set the temp level down below your outside temps and see how much it gets raised from outside temps.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

outside temp is in the high 70's so that is not the problem. The temperature is set at 94 but the tub temp is at 109 right now.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

not sure if you found this..

Request Rejected

Request Rejected

- - - Updated - - -

thats interesting, not sure why rejected?? but the link works
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks - I have the spa pack diagram already but not the troubleshooting guide. I have now pulled the temp sensor out of its thermowell and placed it in the water directly as per the guide. Lets see if that makes a difference.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

nice, hope you get it fixed
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

So the tub is still heating over its set temperature. I put a pool thermometer in and it reads the same as the spa thermometer (101 currently with a setting of 80). Would this mean there is an issue with the spa pak itself?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I'm sorry I have no idea... Does everything work except the temp setting.. Can you lock it where it is... If you can set it where it is and don't let anyone change it it should stay at the same temp...

9. Back To Top    #9

Add the heater relay to your list of things to check. It may be sticking and keeping the heater on.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100