High bather load, lots of splashout, higher Cya

rig2

Platinum Supporter
Dec 26, 2014
Linda, Ca
Did my weekly testing which includes cya due to high bather load and extreme sunlight. Last week cya was at 30. Started season at 50 with cya addition due to high sunlight. Installed stenner pump for chlorine addition with digital timer so we could dial in cya/chlorine per tfpc specs.

As time went on, water loss due to splashout and evaporation, then water replacement and cholrine injection from stenner pump which is constant, kept the cya/chlorine levels in specs. Even though the cya slowly got lower and the sunlight increased the stenner pump kept the chlorine levels where they needed to be due to adjustments.

Here is the question?

Does high usage of sunblock( no swimming untill 15 minutes after application- full sun pool) cause cya reading to read differently? Last sunday it was at 30. No cya added, wanted to see what the chlorine usage at low cya was. Multiple test and different people and kids testing. Todays testing was at 45. With the 45 reading my chlorine was/is on the min side of the specs. Going to raise it to be safe for algae growth.

Pool is very clear but not crystaly. Vsp pump is on high and sand filter was just backwashed(not due to high pressue but from vacuuming hella hair).

Fc: 4.5
cc: 0
Ta: 100
Ch: 150
Cya: 45

vynil pool with 1.5 vsp and extra large sand filter.

Test next week and keep cholrine levels at the alleged 50 cya? Or is the dreaded SLAM on deck?

Linda, CA? Same one near Marysville/Yuba City? I was at Beale AFB for a few years. Just curious. Here's a few replies to your question(s) above:
- You might like see this thread on tanning oils and water: Tanning Oil and your pool
- Assuming your CYA is around 40-50, you are slightly below the target. I'm guessing the bather load coupled wit the CA sun is tearing-up your FC.

Also, just because you show no combined chlorine over .5 doesn't mean you don't have an algae issue brewing. You know your water best, and by your own words it's clear but not sparkly. So you know it's "off" somehow. If you're not convinced you need to SLAM right away, at the bare minimum get that FC up a bit over the target (maybe 10) and do an overnight (OCLT) test. If you lose more than 1ppm of FC during the hours of darkness, it's time to SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Had 6 women in my pool yesterday. I could've made a new rug from all the hair I scooped-out this morning. :)

Thanks for the reply Texas Splash. I live 3 miles from Beale. We have The U-2 and the Global Hawk programs there now. The summer sun and heat are still brutal. Thanks for that link. WE gave the pool a day off today and vacuumed and had the pump and filter running all day. That seems to be clearing it up nicely. Thanks for the Tanning oil link. I am thinking that is the problem. We seem to be running a summer swimming day camp here. Going to the pool store to chat up Tim to see what he has to offer for oils before I hit up amazon.

I am bumping up the cya and am getting the chlorine in check with the 50 cya level. Will do a oclt test tonight to verify whats going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.