Noob Needs help with basic chems

Hi, i recently bought a 1.500 GAL (or 5.377L) above ground pool to cool myself down in this heat... i've had it up for about 5 days now, i put the Filter up the first day, and have put no Chems in till today... (i also noticed my pool water is getting cloudy) last Night i measured the pH and Chlorine lvls of the pool with an old pH "measurer" (is that even a word?:p) anyways, i saw the pH levels were off the charts! above 7.8 (it stops at 7.8) and the Chlorine levels were at 0 (duh) so i found a pH-minus chem from last year, and measured the right amount and put it in last night, today at about 5pm i measured it again, and it doesnt look like it changed much :/, then tonight at 9pm i put 5.800L worth of small tablet's of Chlorine (very small) in the Pool floating dispenser thingy and put it in the pool, (hope it will clear the cloudiness)

anyways, should i get new chems? should i shock my pool? if so with what?, how often should i clean my filter? any other Recomandations?

Any Help is GREATLY apreciated!!
thanks in advance guys!! (also please try to keep the words simple :p or explain them to me... like i said, i'm a noob...)

Bonjour! Welcome to TFP. If your pool is small (less than 3,000 gallons) you may want to read this page:Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. Sometimes, with smaller pools, it's just easier to change the water. But if you wish to treat the water, please read our SLAM page HERE. This will be required to clear your water. You will need access to regular liquid bleach to use for chlorine.

Also, we almost never use pool store products. Instead we use muriatic acid to power PH, baking soda, soda wash, things like that. It would probably be a good idea for your to take a moment to review the links below in my signature so you understand what is required to SLAM (clear your water). Also, on the home page is the "Pool School" which has a lot of great info for beginners. Start with those so you understand what is required.

Lastly, the proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

We look forward to assisting you. Have a great day.

- - - Updated - - -

PS- Those "floaters" (tablets/pucks) are bad for your water because they add other chemicals you don't always need. You should remove it right away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.