Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter cartridge keeps getting clogged every couple days

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter cartridge keeps getting clogged every couple days

So, I think that I am doing a decent job keeping the pool clean- my levels had been fine for awhile, then I went on a vacation. The past couple weeks, the filter cartridges have started getting clogged within a couple of days of putting them in. When I came back from vacation, there was a bit of algae in the pool. I have cleaned it all out, and put quite a bit of cholorine in the floaters and the skimmer. The pool looks a little cloudy still, and the cartridge that I put in yesterday was clogged last night. Could it be algae still in there?? How do I take care of this and what products should I be using to treat that? Should I go get more algaecide? Help please!!!
    Intex Ultra Frame above ground pool
    4.3 ft deep, 22 feet diameter
    Krystal Clear Model 633T Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Filter cartridge keeps getting clogged every couple days

Hello and welcome to TFP!. Your situation sounds much like those who trusted pool store advice. We've all been there. If you have algae (and it sounds like you do), then it's everywhere - to include your filter which probably needs constant cleaning. But cleaning the filter won't resolve your algae. Only the proper testing and chemical balance will so that. We need to know a couple things first:
    1 - What test kit do you have?
    2 - Post a set of your test results (FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH)
    3 - Confirm if your filter is cartridge or Sand

Definitely do not put any algaecide or other pool store products in your pool. Save your money. Focus on liquid bleach and read the SLAM link below in my signature to get acquainted with what is coming. We'll look for your reply to assist you farther. Welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and floaters, tablets, pucks need to come out right away. They increase CYA to a bad level.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Filter cartridge keeps getting clogged every couple days

Pat (Texas Splash) has you covered. We can help.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!