Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Copper In Inground Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

High Copper In Inground Pool

Hello,
    I have a kidney shaped pool size: 12 x 20 x 26 Depth: 3 1/2ft x 6ft. I am advised it is 12,000 gallons of water but not sure it if is correct. I have a vinyl liner, Hayward pro-grid vertical DE Filter, automatic chlorine feeder.. I disconnected the heater and repiped the plumbing to override the heater. I emptied the pool twice and the copper is still high. How can I get the copper below the 3 reading. I also notice the bioguard maintain shock states is has copper in it. Could that cause the issue also.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Copper In Inground Pool

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes if you are using a product that contains copper it will increase the copper levels in your pool. High copper is almost always caused by algacides and mineral packs that contain copper. The only way to get rid of the copper is a complete drain and refill and to not use any more products containing copper. Since you have a vinyl liner you will want to leave at least a foot in the shallow end to prevent the liner from wrinkling, floating, or shifting out of place.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.

4. Back To Top    #4

In my experience (and it is my experience and thereby totally unscientific, but confirmed many a time) copper is drastically reduced if the pool is flocced (treated with flocculant). I usec to run one of those copper ion pools, and at some point it would become high (little swimmer load). At the same point I had to floc (algae dead, water clowdy, filter does not help). After that the copper tested at nearly 0 ppm. Repeated at least three times over three years. Worked every time (and lowering copper was not the goal either).

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is an article on metals from Pool School.
    Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach