TA level

jwgillis

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2008
Yuma, AZ
When using the Lamotte Color Q my TA was in the 63-80 range which I thought was good. The TF100 TA test has tested once at 150 and today at 160. I am convinced that the TF 100 TA test is correct. My water is crystal clear and the results of todays test follow:

FC-5
CC-.5(-)
TC-5.5(-)
pH-7.7
TA-160
CH-170 (did not swirl the right way but close enough for this question)
CYA-60

Yuma, AZ is the sunniest place in the USA ... avg 350+ days of sunlight. Because of this, pool stores locally recommend CYA in the 90-100 range. I was getting ready to start the process to lower my TA when the thought crossed my mind that maybe TA levels are different here also.
I have a fiberglass pool with a SWG and my goal is to get to the TFP recommended levels ... of which TA is 60-80.

Question: Based on the above, how concerned should I be about my TA level of 160?

A TA of 160 will make your pH difficult to maintain, no matter where you put the CYA or how much sun the pool gets! Running the CYA close to 100 ppm is often recommended in desert climates with a SWG but the other recommended numbers still stay about the same.

Tucson here. I hear your TA level issues. Yeah, lowering is a good thing. The desert soil is pretty alkaline, so probably your fill water is pretty alkaline. I know mine is. :-D

My brother lives in Yuma. Teaches at Somerton middle school.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.