Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA level

1. Back To Top    #1

Yuma, AZ

TA level

When using the Lamotte Color Q my TA was in the 63-80 range which I thought was good. The TF100 TA test has tested once at 150 and today at 160. I am convinced that the TF 100 TA test is correct. My water is crystal clear and the results of todays test follow:

CH-170 (did not swirl the right way but close enough for this question)

Yuma, AZ is the sunniest place in the USA ... avg 350+ days of sunlight. Because of this, pool stores locally recommend CYA in the 90-100 range. I was getting ready to start the process to lower my TA when the thought crossed my mind that maybe TA levels are different here also.
    I have a fiberglass pool with a SWG and my goal is to get to the TFP recommended levels ... of which TA is 60-80.

Question: Based on the above, how concerned should I be about my TA level of 160?
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA level

A TA of 160 will make your pH difficult to maintain, no matter where you put the CYA or how much sun the pool gets! Running the CYA close to 100 ppm is often recommended in desert climates with a SWG but the other recommended numbers still stay about the same.

3. Back To Top    #3

Tucson area, AZ

Re: TA level

Tucson here. I hear your TA level issues. Yeah, lowering is a good thing. The desert soil is pretty alkaline, so probably your fill water is pretty alkaline. I know mine is.

My brother lives in Yuma. Teaches at Somerton middle school.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner