Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I had read on this site the recommendation to have all equipment at the pad hooked up with unions to allow for easy removal if there should ever be a problem. One of the builders we are considering said he doesn't like to use them because they are a place of potential failure, but that he leaves enough pipe between things for future cuts if necessary. What do you think of that? Is having unions something to insist on?

+1 on never seeing a union leak and get some space too for adding other stuff later. One thing is for sure, almost everything on that equipment pad will need to be replaced at some point.

Between the three unions I added, the ones on the swg, and the ones on the pump and ball valves, there's not a single piece of pipe that I can't take off if I need to. Definitely have him put unions or you will be doing it later when you need to work on something. Yes, technically, it is another point that could fail, but they aren't any more likely to fail than any other joint that they glue in the plumbing. If they trust the rest of them, they should trust a union too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I was kind of thinkng they'd be better to have than not, but it's hard to know where to push back when some of these guys act like they know it all.

Another related question would be, (and based on what kimkats said), how important is it to have each return individually plumbed and valved? Most say they plumb them in a loop and admit that you get unequal pressure from the returns, but that's the way they do it. One guy said they could plumb them all separately for $800 more (on a 43'x22' freeform pool). Is that reasonable, and worth it?

Is there any other way to do the returns so you'd get individual control over each one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Usually the returns will be plumbed all together and you can use different size return fittings to make the flow equal. I have a 20x40 and have a valve for each skimmer and another valve for the main drains. I have two valves on the return side. One goes to the two returns on the steps, and the other goes to the three returns in the pool. There's also another return that goes back for my pressure side cleaner. I wouldn't spend the money to have each return plumbed individually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the returns plumbed together are not the end of the world, but all other devices are easier to control with home run piping to the pad and valves on each. If you have any water features like a waterfall or sheer decent it should be separate. If you have multiple skimmers and an main drain each of those should be separate. Again, each should have it's own valves. Many pool builders will try to save a few dollars on pipe by having the main drain go to skimmer 1, then skimmer 1 to skimmer 2 then back to the pad. If yo need to isolate something it becomes difficult when set up that way.

As to the original question, unions make life easier down the road. Installed properly they should not leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.