Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter PVC Pipe Disconnect

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter PVC Pipe Disconnect

Hi All,

Pool noob here. First time post. Recently purchased a house with an in-ground pool and have been slowly getting up to speed. Pool has been great thus far but I woke up this morning to find the water levels lower by quite a few inches. I looked by the filter (Hayward, not sure of the exact model) and found that one of the PVC pipes is disconnected (see photos). Thoughts on how to reattach the pipe and fix the issue? Also, once attached, what needs to be done to make sure the filter is secure and working properly (that there are no air bubbles or debris which would impact performance and/or harm the filter)? Thanks in advance for all suggestions and guidance.

D
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter PVC Pipe Disconnect

First off, that is a pump, specifically a Hayward Superpump, and not a filter. The filter is what the pump connects to.

Second, it is hard to tell but is there still a piece of pipe still in the pump or did the pipe pull out of the pump?

As long as the thread in the pump is in good condition and not cracked, it should be an easy fix.

Have you ever worked with PVC plumbing?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Mark,

Thanks. The entire pipe pulled out of the pump; there is no piece left in there. I have never worked with PVC plumbing before and am a bit nervous to start fidgeting in there myself.

4. Back To Top    #4

Then you might want to hire someone to fix it. As I said before, as long as the pump housing is not cracked, then you should be able to fix it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

You should also do the pump intake as the pump running dry will usually shrink the fitting and ruin the seal.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. Will call the pool company tomorrow and ask about the pump intake as well.